my isp has blocked my internet

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
crazywizard
forum buddy
forum buddy

my isp has blocked my internet

Post by crazywizard »

I think my isp has blocked my internet. In my office everyone has access to the internet via a router except me. I think this is because i might have tried to access a restricted govt site when i had access to the internet. Anyway, our router runs a dhcp service so i dont think it blocked my ip. I tried changing my mac address but i still cant access the internet. I can ping my router and the dns servers at our isp. Am using linux. Does anyone have a workaround for this?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Anyway, our router runs a dhcp service so i dont think it blocked my ip
dhcp in a company network would be a little strange (at least I wouldn't use dhcp).
can you post the content of /etc/network/interfaces ?

crazywizard
forum buddy
forum buddy

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Post by crazywizard »

#The loopback interface
#automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

#Let's just assume we have a network card here.
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dchp

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, k, crap...it's really dhcp.
ok, let's check where your connection is dropped:

Code: Select all

traceroute google.com

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

If you changed mac addresses then how will the DNS know its you? Is your IP address static or dynamic?

Its got to be IP-address related if you changed Ethernet cards or the Wireless card.

This sounds strange - I would do a tracert as BB suggested but sounds strange to me. :-k
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

crazywizard
forum buddy
forum buddy

Still not working

Post by crazywizard »

I can't ping google. If I try ''ping www.google.com'', I get unknown host error. I guess the DNS doesn't resolve the name for me. If I try Pinging the Google IP, I get ''host unreacheable'' error. SO clearly, I can't access the internet. Even then, our router has assigned me an IP and the DNS ips are also correct. I can ping the router and both the primary and secondary DNS server IPs. That's about as far as I can go. I have tried changing the mac address since if it's DHCP, it should automatically assign me a slot on the router. Access to the internet is really easy. You just plug in your computer to a cable and you have access. I can see other IPs on my LAN and even access them so am quite sure the problem is not on our router's side but the ISP. Is there any other way that an ISP can block your internet access apart from blocking your IP and MAC address?

P/S:The DHCP router makes it so that IPs change depending on the curent connections. I have tried manually assigning IPs but still doesn't work. I also don't have wireless.

leetnigga
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by leetnigga »

Have you set your default route / gateway?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

ping doesn't give any helpful info, that's why you should do a traceroute...that way you can at least find out if your connection is dropped at the router already or at a point behind the router.

and yeah, the routing table would be interesting too.

crazywizard
forum buddy
forum buddy

traceroute www.google.com

Post by crazywizard »

name or dns not found

John_W
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by John_W »

do a "traceroute 8.8.8.8".
btw 8.8.8.8 is the google dns-server, if you have a dns problem you can use that one instead, too.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, do it with an IP, I should have expected it that it instantly drops because it can't even resolve the host.. :oops:

crazywizard
forum buddy
forum buddy

some progress

Post by crazywizard »

I have some progress to report back. I pinged 8.8.8.8 and it went through. I did a traceroute and it also worked fine. So i figured lemme try and open that address in the browser. I typed the ip(74.125.39.105) in the browser and vwallah, google search page pops up.

Now that's where the problem begins again. I changed the DNS server to google's 8.8.8.8. If i search for anything, the page gives me an address not found error. The url on the address bar is also a canonical name and not an ip. So I figure that I still have access to the net via way of definate ip addresses, which means that the problem must therefore be the DNS server and name resolution. How do I get around this?

P/S: Note that everyone elses connection works just fine with the same DNS addresses that am trying!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, this is odd, are there any firewall rules on the system that could interfere? have you checked the routing table? can you post your resolv.conf?

crazywizard
forum buddy
forum buddy

More progress

Post by crazywizard »

I booted from live disk, and it's working. Does the DNS service run locally? If so, then maybe it's spoilt?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hard to say without knowing the network architecture. what was the default entry in resolv.conf? if it's the router IP and this IP is also the default gateway the DNS server is most likely an external one (the one from the ISP), of course it could also be an internal one but that's not very likely in such cases.

if it works properly from a live CD it points to a problem on your system....made sure the resolv.con entries are exactly the same as on the other hosts?