How does DeepFreeze work?

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
lockedin2code

How does DeepFreeze work?

Post by lockedin2code »

At a time, I used to think DeepFreeze (DF) carries out a rollback on FILES, but it's clear that's all story!

1. I took an HDD, slaved it to another PC without DF, altered the MBR. When I took it back onto the system with DF, everything went back the way it was.
2. On a system with DF, when the FAT table is restructured - e.g. by the chkdsk (AUTOCHECK), the changes are but temporary.
3. Changes to the DF settings (of course, stored on a file - or AT WORST, a raw sector write on the HDD) are preserved!

This can't be a mystery! Someone's got to know something!
We're bugs if we don't share knowledge! What have you got to give?

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, it's pretty obvious it doesn't just rollback files. Say you had a 10gb hard drive, and you wanted deepfreeze to "freeze" 6gb worth of files, it wouldn't be able to because it doesn't have enough space on the hard drive to hold the original versions of those files and the current files.

I've seen deepfreeze at work before, often on public computers like in internet cafe's. It restarts the computer at a designated time and shortly after the reboot, before the login, it reverts the computer back to its previous state.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but i presume it keeps a record of the system's settings and also records the user's activity. Then, all it would have to do is reset the system settings and undo anything the user did (delete created files, erase browsing history, etc..).

I could be wrong though, this is merely a guess.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

l0ngb1t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by l0ngb1t »

There is an UNEQUAL amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly. "The Jester"