Firefox default "saved passwords list"

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
ayu
Staff
Staff

Firefox default "saved passwords list"

Post by ayu »

You know that shiny "remember password" function in Firefox?

Don't use it if you know what's good for you.

The older version of it is just a txt file with the username and password encoded in base64.
And then the newer version (>=3.0, don't know about 4.0) just stores it encrypted in an sqlite database in the profile folder, without a password for default use (and we all know that 99.9% of regular users keep default settings), meaning that you can just steal the database and open it (or just put it in your own profile folder for firefox), and steal the usernames and passwords of a user, if you have access to the machine that is.

Some people think that a "keyring" is a good defense against keyloggers, which in a sense is true, but then you have to make sure that no one can get into the damn keyring.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: Firefox default "saved passwords list"

Post by ph0bYx »

I use 'remember password' for a few sites, but I also use a master password... Am I in danger, too? :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

ph0bYx wrote:I use 'remember password' for a few sites, but I also use a master password... Am I in danger, too? :-k

Well, at least you are not in immediate danger I would think, but I haven't yet tried to crack a master password, but I guess it all depends on the strength of your password really.

TheScottyTurner
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by TheScottyTurner »

Wow, thanks for the info!! That thing saves my life lol, I'm not too good remembering my passwords lol Is it a big enough problem, that you'd recommend not to use it?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

TheScottyTurner wrote:Wow, thanks for the info!! That thing saves my life lol, I'm not too good remembering my passwords lol Is it a big enough problem, that you'd recommend not to use it?

I can't really say that I have encountered any malware that has used it.
I think it's more dangerous if it's an aimed threat against a specific target (person/organization).
I know this out of own experience, since I wrote a backdoor a few days ago that exploits this to find passwords on a specific victims machine.

But yeah of course, if used "properly" it could become an even bigger threat to a bigger base of users.

Raz0r
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Raz0r »

cats wrote:I think it's more dangerous if it's an aimed threat against a specific target (person/organization).
Are there other ways to protect your browser other than to disable saved passwords on firefox? Would an intrusion detection program detect this ,but mmm... depends on the attack meathod.Thanks for the info.
I can use all the shells,so now I can finally hear the ocean

trickb0x
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by trickb0x »

A good alternative for this (which would work with more than just firefox) is a password manager such as keespass (keepassx for linux) which stores ALL of your passwords in an encrypted file. You use one master password to access all of them and it's easy to put on a flash drive and take wherever you are.

Pong18
Cyber Mushroom
Cyber Mushroom

Post by Pong18 »

trickb0x wrote:A good alternative for this (which would work with more than just firefox) is a password manager such as keespass (keepassx for linux) which stores ALL of your passwords in an encrypted file. You use one master password to access all of them and it's easy to put on a flash drive and take wherever you are.
thanks trick for including something for nux. how about Seahorse 2.32.0? what do you think about it?

lykos
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by lykos »

You can also use firefox in conjunction with a fingerprint scanner to enter passwords.

~[Lykos]~

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

lykos wrote:You can also use firefox in conjunction with a fingerprint scanner to enter passwords.

~[Lykos]~
That is actually a pretty interesting topic for debate

Code: Select all

http://appliedlife.blogspot.com/2007/04/why-biometrics-can-be-bad-identifiers.html

lykos

Post by lykos »

It works extremely well. And its fairly easy to set up. Although it is a single point of failure if someone defeats the fingerprint scanning aspect.

~[Lykos]~

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

lykos wrote:It works extremely well. And its fairly easy to set up. Although it is a single point of failure if someone defeats the fingerprint scanning aspect.

~[Lykos]~
Agreed.

It can be dangerous though, since you are more likely to get physical injuries that way ^^ (i.e. someone chops your fingers off or pokes your eyes out).

So far having the password safely stored in the brain is pretty safe, since we haven't succeeded in really extracting much information from there yet ^^

lykos

Post by lykos »

Hopefully my finger doesn't get cut off and my eyes don't get poked out ^^

~[Lykos]~

hpprinter100

Post by hpprinter100 »

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-mofiria-f ... d-0232716/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hard to fool O:)

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

You can use KeyScrambler program. 99% protection against keylogging.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP