limited resources

Problems? Post here...
aymanallouh

limited resources

Post by aymanallouh »

my computer is limited in resources(ram,cpu,..)and some times i need to run many programs at the same time and each program could use all the memory and cpu available so i have been looking for a way to control how these programs uses the computer resources.
in another way i want to limit each program on the amount of physical and virtual ram it uses and give each program a constant amount of cpu to process data.
if someone could help me with a program for this or a windows trick i would be very thankful.

alien100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by alien100 »

give me more info on ur pc like how much ram does it have what type of a processor and etc..
[img]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9128/sig3copyyybq4.jpg[/img]

aymanallouh

Post by aymanallouh »

my computer spec 512Mb RAM/2.8GHz/No HT
I'll give an examples of what i need such a program for.
-when iam using my computer to convert videos in some formats it consumed all the physical memory and large amount of virtual memory make it almost impossible for me to control the explorer process or even running any other application.
-i use two programs to convert data where each of them uses 100% of the cpu and i want one program to take 80% of the cpu and the other one uses the rest of the cpu based on my priority.

hope this clear the problem iam facing.

alien100

Post by alien100 »

ok if u have anitivirus disable it disable all the services that u dont need go to start>run>type msconfig>go to services and disable the ones u dont need try defraging ur pc.if that doesent work write again
[img]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9128/sig3copyyybq4.jpg[/img]

bennybill
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by bennybill »

jst wat i was going to say :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, on Linux it would be no problem, you can simply nice the processes there....I found an app which is supposed to have the same functionality for XP (Change the priority of processes):
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/p ... ssutil.htm

let me know if it worked... :wink:

aymanallouh

Post by aymanallouh »

the program can change priority like the task manager.
the problem when two programs uses full cpu and one program has priority higher than the other program the total cpu will turn to the highest priority.
i wonder if there such a program that can divide the cpu between processes.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm....well, imo the CPU usage is not the problem, it's just the result of the low ammount of RAM which is the bottleneck of your system, 1GB is almost the standard now.
I've searched a while now for an app to control CPU usage on application-level....without any success... :?
but what about setting up a virtual machine? you could run the resource hog apps in the virtual machine (and restrict the resources for it), while you do the other work on the "real" machine....