Problems? Post here...
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Outlook Express - Outgoing Problem

Post by isapiens »

Hey people!

Here is my problemmmooo.

My school changed the outgoing server name from smtp to smtpauth. I guess this is some kind of secure way of sending emails.

Anyways, they had rather clear instructions on how to update the settings.
First i had to change the outgoing server name, then i had to click the button that says "My server requires authenticaction" and finally i had to change the port number from default 25 to whatever they told us...

So i did everything and it didnt work... My roommate kept telling me to go to the tech desk that we have out here but I refused for 2 days. Finally his nagging forced me to go and obviously the bastards out there didnt know how to fix it... I just stood there like an idiot for 20 minutes while they were following the directions that they gave out to everyone.

Did anyone have a similar problem? Most of the people fixed their computers using the steps that they gave us... I dont have any firewall running so that shouldnt be an issue.

I was thinking about reinstalling express, but does anyone know whats the best way to back up all your emails and addresses?

cheers

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, your biggest problem is: using Outlook... :lol:
man, Outlook in an insecure piece of crap, you really should use an alternative email client like Thunderbird:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
if I'm not totally wrong (has been a while since I installed Thunderbird the last time) you can even import the addresses from Outlook to Thunderbird during install.
when installed you can simply edit the account settings to use SSL, and it should work fine then... :wink:

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

done. Changed the settings, worked fine. I will never know why express didnt work and i dont want to know, stupid bastards!!!

thanks b_b, and you where right, it just imported everything from outlook.