Back up problems

Problems? Post here...
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Back up problems

Post by isapiens »

Ok, i used norton ghost before, but recently it fails to complete the back up. I ran the usual stuff, like disk check, defrag, reinstalled the program etc... Then i googled the error and most of the times people were unsuccessful in fixing it.

I think its probably just some program that interferes with norton and honestly i dont really feel like trying to figure out what it is.

I was just wondering what other programs you guys recommend for backing up jobs. What do you use personally.

cheers

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I used Ghost too for a while and 90% of the backups were kinda damaged... :roll:

now I use CDriveBack which works perfectly fine...you simply boot the CD and the rest is done almost automatically (but of course you can customize it for your needs easily too). you can find the .iso image in the Linux distros downloads... :wink:

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

I got the live CD that they had for downloads. What do i use to make the back-up cuz i dont think i am understanding everything. Will CDriveBack actually make the back-up for you?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

all you have to do is to boot from the CD, if you want to backup the C:\ drive and want to store the backup also on C:\ all you have to do is to press <Enter>...that's it, the rest is running automatically! :)
if you want to backup another drive or store the backup in another place simply edit the settings... :wink:

oh, and don't worry about the screen output while booting, it's a Linux distro but when booting is done you will enter a very easy to use interface... :wink:

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

I dont think it recognizes the external drive... it only gives me an option of saving the backup in C or linux partitions, but none of those are big enough to fit a back-up.

I think i am doing it right... I went to set the TARGET drive, but i didnt see my external drive there. I also went to Advanced Options and tried to straight up typing Z:\ (my external drive) into the space for target drive, but that didnt work either... any suggestions?

But otherwise the program looks legit

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if your external HDD is an USB one the device name is /sda1 on Linux, not Z:\ like on your Windows system...so try to save it to /sda1, should work fine... :wink:

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

nice, it worked fine now. My laptop has 4 usb ports, 2 in the back and 2 on the side. I dont know why, but the program only detected 2 on the side, so i switched my hard drive to the side usb and it worked fine.

Finally i can feel safe b_b !!!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

alright, sweet! :D