What is the best OS?

Problems? Post here...

What is the best OS in youre opinion? and what are you running on? what do you prefer?

Poll ended at 19 Aug 2008, 04:36

MS XP
47%
MS XP 64
12%
MS 2000 + service packs
No votes
MS Windows Vista Basic Home (32, 64 bit)
No votes
MS Windows Vista Home Premium (32, 64 bit)
No votes
MS Windows Vista Business (32, 64 bit)
No votes
MS Windows Vista Ultimate (32, 64 bit)
6%
LINUX (all Systems)
35%
MAC (all Mac systems)
No votes
ms dos
No votes

Total votes: 17

PLeXroD
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

What is the best OS?

Post by PLeXroD »

hey folks... what OS system are you guys running on and what do you prefer?
-Never try to be uncommon, instead of that only realize it's you that is common...-

-In grater common sence Linux is better than MS Windows-

-Never try to hack platform, instead of that, only make security and teach other to do that to-

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I have multiple OSs on my 2 boxes:
Vista, XP, Debian, Backtrack 2 and Solaris.
for entertainment stuff like gaming XP is my favorite, but for serious computing nothing beats Linux (and my favorite distro is Debian)... :)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Can't really vote on this, since i only used Microsucks crap. And i have only played arround and tested Linux so i can't really have an opinion about it yet. But of the ones i have tried (and used enough) Windows XP prof is the best, not for security reason, but because all the programs that i need are available. I mean the things i do with my computer, programming, photo editing and playing a few games, all of that works good on Windows, and Linux is not a good OS to play my games on ^^ ... but i will probably start using Linux more...in time.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

i would totaly agree with Bad_Brain. If you want some gaming, i suggest and use Windows Xp, i wouldnt really recommend Vista unless you have a fast computer along with the money and a heavy load army of security software to protect you from all of Vista's exploits! As for Mac, i dont know when would you use a mac, but some just do. It isnt really made for gaming and hard core computing, its just a mac. As for Linux, now thats good stuff. Highly recommended if you want to get serious with hacking and computing.

Jontebullen
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by Jontebullen »

i have never tried anything other then windows XP except for in school once or twice when i had picture (or whatever it's called) they're they have macs. we are forced to take six months of either that or music(bleh). We actually have two mac computer rooms. I don't have any classes there though.
Is Linux any fun? like is it good for anything other then programming and servers? and unix, is that like an OS of itself or what?

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

From Wikipedia~
Filiation of Unix and Unix-like systems Unix (officially trademarked as UNIX ®) is a computer operating system originally developed in the 1960s and 1970s by a group of AT&T employees at Bell Labs including Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and Douglas McIlroy. Today's Unix systems are split into various branches, developed over time by AT&T as well as various commercial vendors and non-profit organizations.
The present owner of the trademark UNIX® is The Open Group, an industry standards consortium. Only systems fully compliant with and certified to the Single UNIX Specification qualify as "UNIX®" (others are called "Unix system-like" or "Unix-like").
During the late 1970s and early 1980s, Unix's influence in academic circles led to large-scale adoption (particularly of the BSD variant, originating from the University of California, Berkeley) of Unix by commercial startups, the most notable of which is Sun Microsystems. Today, in addition to certified Unix systems, Unix-like operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS X and BSD derivatives are commonly encountered.
Sometimes, Traditional Unix may be used to describe a Unix or an operating system that has the characteristics of either Version 7 Unix or UNIX System V.
To answer your Unix question. And Linux is great if you want some hard core computing. I would say Linux is more so of a Hacking OS. Very good tools on Linux you cant get anywhere else. Linux can be very fun, if you know alot about computers. 8O But if your a complete noob, then it would just seem like another OS, but with better tools.

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

bad_brain wrote:(and my favorite distro is Debian)... :)
Though it was Red Hat...? I guess you changed your mind when they stoped?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, RedHat was the first distro I've ever used (or better said I've been able to install :lol: ). but since it is not supported any more I had to look for a new distro...I tried a LOT and Debian was the distro which really convinced me because of its great package management and stability, and it's also not that bloated as the mainstream distros like Fedora (which is the successor of RedHat).... :)