problems running programs!

Problems? Post here...
zxcv1bnm

problems running programs!

Post by zxcv1bnm »

everytime i try to open a file on my cpmputer that ive donwloaded off the net it says windows cannot access the specified path or file. you may not have the appropriate permission to access the item. this only happens when downloadin such things as trojans etc. all firewalls and anti virus progs have been turned off

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Hm, which prog do you use to unzip? With 7zip for example you have to unzip the files first before they can be properly accessed. Check the path to which the files are unzipped too, some progs unzip to a temp-folder by default which can cause trouble too.
If all settings seem to be right and you still can´t access the files you should login as "Administrator" and see if it works then.
If you still get the "no appropriate permission"-error on the Administrator-account it might be some serious system damage.

SystemShadow

Post by SystemShadow »

Im having this weird problem with opening programs in command prompt (e.g john the ripper) cos once ive extracted all the files and try to poen it it says "subject is not suitable for using in MS-DOS :( its so annoying i cant use half the kool programs i want 2!!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Hm, hard to say without more information, SystemShadow.
Please give some examples of programs which can´t be started, it might be that some of them are made for older OSs (I assume you use XP) or need some extra files like WinPcap for example.... :wink:

Lagato

Post by Lagato »

I have the exact same problem, I will extract it ok , I have my av off and firewall off but it still says this cannot be accessed, you may not have enough rights or whatever...Im admin and i have XP with sp2.. I uninstalled sp2 but it still didnt work...

Any ideas?

Lagato

Post by Lagato »

But the thing is its only these trojans i dl...I never can open the servers, client or whatever....really sucks....

Plz, any help would be nice...

Thanks,

Lagato

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Um, "opening" a server is a really bad idea because you´ll infect your system by doing so... 8O
Are you trying to run the programs in command line? Most of these progs are "normal" .exe-files which use a GUI, so no need to use command line.
The problem could be also caused by SP2, I don´t use it and all progs can be accessed without any problems. Doubtful that deinstalling SP2 will reset the system to the state it was before installing it....if you have enough space available set up a partition and install XP without any service packs on it and use this partition as a "playground", best would be to use an extra box of course... :wink:

Lagato

Post by Lagato »

Well, I ment just saying that any of them wouldn't work :lol:

But, my computer is basically fucked up at the moment anyway...

So could i go ahead and reformat. Would that work? (with of course not installing any sps)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Yeah, I see no reason why it shouldn´t work then...I use SP1 and have np to run any programs. Once I installed SP2 on my second box, but after some days I became really annoyed and installed Linux...:lol:

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

when i installed sp2 on my main machine i had no probelms at all with it concerning programs however for some reason my windows firewall wouldnt engage, so instead of that tool I just installed a different firewall and its doing the job

Lagato

Post by Lagato »

Alright Much thanks Guys.. :)

Lagato

Post by Lagato »

woot! its working now thanks guys! :D

sp2 does suck balls, :P