Closing Ports

Problems? Post here...
rambo
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Closing Ports

Post by rambo »

Hey i need some software to close / secure ports..

~Cheers
rambo

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

As I suggested via IRC - I used to use Sygate on my XP system. However, I noticed that it was picked up and purchased by Symantec, inevitably the integrity of that program will probably be jeopardized by the need to market the product to mass quantities. I am sure you can probably find an older copy though - other than that, I am not really SURE of an effective peice of software to use on a Windows based system.

I personally suggest picking up an old system - it can even be a Pentium 1 (You can probably pick it up free) and then install something such as Smoothwall Linux Distribution on it, which in return allows you to learn Linux and gives you an effective firewall. That would be MY solution.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

basicly ports are closed by default. ( at least my modem does this I dont know aobut others ).

I opened certain ports for my Bittorrent traffic and some ports for gaming.

if you are looking for a good firewall then here are some suggestions:

Kaspersky
Zonelabs
Panda
Norton <-resourse drainer
Mcafee

ofcourse it is up to you which one you like best.
also i think Cats/Neo did a test on which antivirus program was the best, it might be that u will find it in the tutorial section, it can give you a view on which of em all is the best.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I don't know if you are confused N3rd - but antivirus != firewall, in fact they are two distinct entities. I am not sure if those companies offer firewall solutions and if that is what you are in reference to, then my bad.

Also, your modem must also do routing, because a modem has the sole purpose of establishing a connection with a provider by switching analog information to digital and vice-versa - the router in return, then 'routes' traffic based on set rules, in your instance your NAT router (more than likely) is set to filter and drop all packets unless a specific rule is written (such as allowing traffic on port 80 and any other specified port you have 'forwarded').

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

ah yes the test....

You can find the anti virus test HERE

But as mentioned, this is a ANTI VIRUS test, not a firewall test.

I recommend that you use Kaspersky 6, because not only did it get the best results in the AV test, it also has a very very good and customizable firewall.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

I tipped the AV, because some of em have pretty good firewalls in em aswell.

hope this explains.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]