Program problems

Problems? Post here...
jasonxxx102
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Program problems

Post by jasonxxx102 »

I have some .cfg files and i opened it once with notepad... but for my game server to work(which the config files are for) it doesnt recognize notepad and it wont open the files... I tried to change it by going uder properties but it wont let me change the program it opens up with. Any suggestions?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I don't quiet understand your situation...but you can do the following to have the file opened with notepad by default.

1: Right click on the .cfg file
2: Choose "open with"
3: Choose "Notepad"
4: Check the checkbox that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
5: Then press OK and it's done....

jasonxxx102

Post by jasonxxx102 »

the checkbox is like transparent and wont let me click it... and yes im on an admin account

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I don't really get it.... your game server can't read the file unless it's set to open with Notepad by default? doesn't sound very likely =/ i mean generally a program would be able to read from a clear text file even if the file don't have a file extension....

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh, you mean you can't set notepad as default app? :-k
is it working with other extensions like .txt? this sounds to me like a registry problem...
I suppose you are using the default MS notepad? in that case take it as opportunity to switch to a better editor like Notepad++... :
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

:wink:

jasonxxx102

Post by jasonxxx102 »

lol its set up so it auto opens with notepad and I dont want it to the game doesnt recognize notepad