Windows destroying Bios?

Problems? Post here...
jasonxxx102
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Windows destroying Bios?

Post by jasonxxx102 »

I got a version of Windows XP Gamers Edition from my friend and I installed it on one of my hard drives and I didnt like it very much so I took out the hard drive and put in my primary and when it was loading it said Disk Read Error Please Insert The System Disk. It does that everytime I try to load up the real version of Windows XP. Also when I tryed to reformat the hard drive that had Windows XP Gamers Edition on it, it would not let me reinstall the proper version of Windows. I have VERY important information on my primary hard drive and I cannot reformat it.(The hard drive works when I put it in my other computer) Is there any wasy to fix this?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well You'll need to put a hard drive into the target computer making sure its jumper settings are correct.

Then insert a Windows XP disk into the optical drive.

Next reboot and get into the BIOS making sure it is set to boot from optical drive first.

Then install Windows and I suggest a quick format on the hard drive first.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

jasonxxx102

Post by jasonxxx102 »

Ive done all of that, When I go to reformat the hard drive It says no hard drive is present? And the Bios is gone, I pressed the Bios hotkey but nothing comes up...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

jasonxxx102 wrote:Ive done all of that, When I go to reformat the hard drive It says no hard drive is present? And the Bios is gone, I pressed the Bios hotkey but nothing comes up...
If the BIOS was gone, you wouldn't come to the point where it says "no hard drive present" (not trying to be a smartass btw)

Tried to reset the BIOS with the jumper (or the battery) on the motherboard?

Also a common mistake is to press the wrong button when entering the BIOS, happens to me every time i am to enter my own BIOS =P

Says F2 to enter *something*, and then further down it says F8 to enter setup (or something along those lines)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Also listen for a beep on POST. If you get a "BEEP" then the PC is running great. Perhaps the hard drive is not connected correctly, again check cables and jumper settings. Try pressing any of these for gaining access to the BIOS, several more options are available as well.

- delete
- F10
- F2
- Tab
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

jasonxxx102

Post by jasonxxx102 »

I thought of just taking out the battery and letting it sit for a few days and letting the BIOS memory reset itself do you think that would work? The computer actually says: DISK BOOT FAILIURE PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER. I put in the Windows XP disk like it says then it goes through the process of loading all the proper files but when it gets to the reformatting part It tells me that there is no hard drive present...

P.S The computer does not beep when I start it up, nor do any of the BIOS hotkeys, I pressed every button one by one at startup and nothing happened. All the cable are connected properly and the pin setting are correct...
Last edited by jasonxxx102 on 06 May 2008, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

jasonxxx102 wrote:I thought of just taking out the battery and letting it sit for a few days and letting the BIOS memory reset itself do you think that would work?
yeah might work (heard of cases where it didn't) =) won't take days though, simply take it out and put it in again.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Install as slave drive again and boot into XP. when loaded it should recognise the drive again. Whatever just right click my computer > manage > disk management and then locate the drive you are looking for in the panel. You can format and partition the disk from there and then reinstall the drive to the other pc making sure the jumpers are set to master and boot from cd drive, setting in bios if needs. :wink:

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

cats wrote:
jasonxxx102 wrote:I thought of just taking out the battery and letting it sit for a few days and letting the BIOS memory reset itself do you think that would work?
yeah might work (heard of cases where it didn't) =) won't take days though, simply take it out and put it in again.
won't take days, just five minutes, i had this same problem ;) doing this solved mine.

--edit--
really, take it out and wait atleast five minutes, numerous tuts all have mentioned 5 minutes.

caisher
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by caisher »

nightkid wrote:
cats wrote:
won't take days, just five minutes, i had this same problem ;) doing this solved mine.

--edit--
really, take it out and wait atleast five minutes, numerous tuts all have mentioned 5 minutes.
any way?
The barrier to change is not too little caring; it is too much complexity.
改变世界的阻碍,并非人类的冷漠,而是这个世界太复杂