Active desktop question

Problems? Post here...
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Active desktop question

Post by Still_Learning »

A while back at work, I had a custom desktop picture and had to use active desktop for the pic to work because they had the network locked down and I couldnt just right click and save a picture as desktop.

My sisters computer also got hacked one day and they changed to active desktop picture to say "Your computer has been hacked" or something like that..

My question is where is this active desktop file located? is it an .html file? and by useing active desktop pics does it cause an exploit on your PC to be available?

:?: thanks

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

If you have done it once then find it again

Post by computathug »

A simple google search would have done this for you, Im sure that some things just need a little thought.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000593.htm

No-one here is going to spoon feed anyone but any help will be given those who are prepared to help themselves.

Food for thought :wink:

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Thank you, I understand and dont want to be spoonfed, I understand that it is a good link to protect yourself from those type of attacks, but would like to know exactly where the active desktop file are in windows. The URL in properties screen just says "About:Home"
where exactly is that file at? I googled and could not find the exact file location of the active desktop. thanks

uid0

Post by uid0 »

If you refer to the "html" (or the like) file, it could be located anywhere, windows, if I remember right, will put it inside the local settings folders of the user (I might be mistaken about that).

For instance, I can set this in registry:

Code: Select all

Wallpaper = "C:/Windows/system32/drivers/G0t_H4x0r3d.html"
At the key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\

An you should see the html file (interpreted) in your desktop.

Regards

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

uid0 wrote:If you refer to the "html" (or the like) file, it could be located anywhere, windows, if I remember right, will put it inside the local settings folders of the user (I might be mistaken about that).

For instance, I can set this in registry:

Code: Select all

Wallpaper = "C:/Windows/system32/drivers/G0t_H4x0r3d.html"
At the key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General\

An you should see the html file (interpreted) in your desktop.

Regards
:D thats exactly what i was looking for, you are awesome, thanks for all your help!