How to be anonymous on mIRC..

Problems? Post here...
Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

How to be anonymous on mIRC..

Post by Still_Learning »

I have heard many things, useing a bounce which costs $$ or proxy which is free.. I am broke so Im leaning towards the free option.. Everytime i log into irc with mirc it seems everyone can see my real host and ip and everything which is not cool at all.. any of these people can try to hack my box

I see others on there with cool hosts like imabadass@whatever.com ,i want to be able to have a cool host name like them.. how is this done? i have googled and searched for hours, i think a answer from someone who knows what they are doing and can directly answer my question would be very beneficial.

any links or help info is much appriciated.. also if proxy is the best answer where should i set it up, on mirc settings or in windows settings or both??

thank you!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

If you want a "badass" host mask, then buy a domain, but that wont hide your IP...

Use ->Socks<-
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

i wouldnt worry about it so much, if someone is smart enough to hack your box then their smart enough to type /dns and unveil the cool guys ip :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

nightkid wrote:i wouldnt worry about it so much, if someone is smart enough to hack your box then their smart enough to type /dns and unveil the cool guys ip :wink:
In suck-o's case that won't work though ^^ Since the hostmasks are spoofed with "suck-o.com"
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Security through obscurity is a bad idea, regardless. I think you should have your system set up so your not afraid to have to your ip displayed in the l33test of IRC chans. That is what you should strive for - set up a good IDS/IPS and work on your firewall rules so you are not afraid. That is your BEST OPTION. :)

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Big-E wrote:Security through obscurity is a bad idea, regardless. I think you should have your system set up so your not afraid to have to your ip displayed in the l33test of IRC chans. That is what you should strive for - set up a good IDS/IPS and work on your firewall rules so you are not afraid. That is your BEST OPTION. :)
I am leaning towards this I think, I have never set up a server before, I have always paid for a hosting company.

So my hostname will change to whatever domain name I have on irc? (i allready have like 5 domain names threw godaddy but hosted somewhere else)

that would be nice, I am also wanting to setup a server, I just got windows server 2008, and want to try and setup a server with VMware. that would be perfect then I can try to hack my own server.. with server 2008 can I add other home edition PC's on my home LAN and view the screens without them knowing? like screenagent or such?

What would be the most secure setting? Linux with VMware and windows server 08 running? ubuntu server? windows with vmware and linux server, freebsd with some kind of gui? (since im a noob?) I am best with windows and DOS. thanks

Wo0oT
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Wo0oT »

You can ask an opper to give you a 'vhost' but on some servers, they don't give them away anymore :p.