Windows Start up prgorams

Problems? Post here...
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Windows Start up prgorams

Post by visser »

Hey all, i was working on some stuff with my computer and realized it would be very handy if i could set certain programs to start on startup.

i looked around a little bit and found some interesting things. Edit the "msconfig" or what have you. Diagnol told me to just add it to the startup folder that you see on the start menu.
the problem is that i dont want to edit the msconfig. and i dont want to put stuff in the startup folder becuase that would throw off the way i organize me computer. (you all know that you have a certain way of organizing your files :P)

What i was looking for was a program that would perhaps do these things for me? i found it once, way back in the day. lol

any help or some suggestions would be great.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well, you could try "Tune Up"

has a lot of features... but I don't recommend it because it edits the boot.ini file a bit and it can fuck things up.

What I do recommend you is that you learn how to add it to the registry directly instead =) forces you to learn a bit about the Windows registry ;)

Open the start menu and press "run", then write "regedit"

Now, browse to the following location....

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Software

Microsoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

Run

now, to your right you might see some programs that's being run at startup, you can remove and add keys here that you see fit, just be careful so that you don't remove anything important =)

Now, to add a new program you can either right click 'anywhere' in regedit where the keys are, or click "Edit".

Either way when you get up the menu, you choose "New" and then "String Value"

You can name it to whatever you want. Then give it the location of the file you want to run with your parameters, as the value.

Like if I want to run notepad on startup, I would name the key "notepad" and give it the value "C:\windows\notepad.exe"

Anyway, hope this helps a bit :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

visser

Post by visser »

hey thanks a bunch Cats!
ill def give that a shot!

skip

Post by skip »

and if you edit something on registry make sure you make a copy, a back up incase you mess it up.. i hope that adds something.. :D
Image Image Image

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Maybe edit your Autoexec.bat file to start the file when your system is powered up?

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

visser:

Problems with programs call it (code A) doing this for you is that there are literately billions of different code, call them (codes B) who's programmers want to run them at start up. So how would the program (code A) know what to turn off or on? besides this would be another piece of code that would want to run at start up along with the others (codes B) :)

Best bet is to do a msconfig and go to the startup tab and un-check the ones you don't want to start. If you screw it up, go back in and un-check it. Its a no-brainer. I personally un-check everything and only run code when i am ready.

Peace
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Shimo

Post by Shimo »

I don't understand how changeing startup progs in msconfig would screw with your organization... It just tells the computer what to boot and what not to during start up.... I think if you want to turn some off your best bet is msconfig... Its simple and easy.
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]

visser

Post by visser »

i dont want to turn anything off....

i want to add some....
start programs that dont have the option to be set to start at windows startup.....

Shimo

Post by Shimo »

Oh in that case you might wanna take a closer look at http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml looks like a really simple prog to me.
[img]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/xblric9000000/ShimoSignature.jpg[/img]