windows/ other OS babble

Problems? Post here...
nightkid
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

windows/ other OS babble

Post by nightkid »

after trying various forms of linux distros, PC-BSD and mac osx and the only reason i have a windows box is for counter-strike which im looking to install on the mac ;) other than that there are a few programs that are windows based that i use mainly for mild aggravation against people. although windows is the most commonly used OS it's good to know the in and outs for explotion or for computer security if your a administrator. but let's face it, windows is full of bloat ware right out of the box and consumes more memory than any other distro, other than gaming, any other OS can do the same as windows, so why do you use/keep a windows box around? just curious. any ideas or theories about OS in general?
thanks for reading.
sorry for the bad grammar, i been drinking.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

!

Post by floodhound2 »

I could not agree with you more, my reason is the same for keeping windows. Counter Strike! I am not a big gamer, but I love to sip a beer and run that first person shooter for a bit after designing electronic circuits all week.

I half ass installed Counter strike on my Linux, but did not go all the way. Sounds familiar to some of you virgins I know? :oops: Otherwise I would dump Windows and run Fedora.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well I like to play games as well. I have a ps2 but I still like to play some games on a comp.

Other than that I use windows for other things as well. I have tried to set up a pen testing lab on a linux box and I had loads of difficulites. I had problems with bridging in suse. I just could not port scan from my host machine my guest machines. In windows all of that is much easier. Maybe one day when I am more experience I could do with out windows for that bur for now I need to use it.

When ever I want to make any type of animations or videos I still need windows and the applications for that. I have a ton of warez to help me out with that!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

nightkid

Post by nightkid »

thanks for the responses and that brings up another reason why i keep my windows box, it has a 200gb HDD and that comes in handy for warez holding ;) if i need a iso or experimenting trying to install another OS on one of the lappys i usually make a folder and download different ISO files and keep them all there. my best way to sum it up for me i guess is in general, very general, winblows is my local box of toys and the real OS's i use for more professional jobs if you catch the drift :lol:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sad but true, but Windows is still better for gaming and media-related stuff, the reason are copyright-issues with codec- and driver-providers. did you knew that you are guilty of copyright violations if you install a .wmv codec on Linux system and that you can get sued for it?
MS is still too mighty because of the billions of dollars they make, but Vista can be the turning point, the development of Vista caused a giant loss for MS and I doubt they have the slightest clue what to do next....so they try to save their future income by simply ruin competitors and become a full monopoly, but this also don't work too well, the Linux distributors seem not to be really impressed (except traitors like Novell).