laptop restarting at shutdown[/SOLVED]

Problems? Post here...
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

laptop restarting at shutdown[/SOLVED]

Post by computathug »

ok i have just repaired a laptop but there is still one problem left with it. Everytime i go to shutdown the computer reboots back up. I have never had this problem before so would like any assistance i can get before i reload the full OS. I have googled and gone through a few options but none have worked.

Any help apreciated on this one

Thanks

Thugz
Last edited by computathug on 19 Nov 2008, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, maybe a critical error that causes the reboot?
have you tried to disable the automatic restart on critical errors:
my computer (right-click) -> properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery -> uncheck "automatically restart"

also check (best first) if there is an entry in msconfig -> startup that causes the reboot

:-k

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Yeah i had already done both of your options and posting was a last ditch effort. I have now narrowed the cause down to the power supply. When the laptop is plugged in and you issue closedown the pc reboots but when it is connected via battery the laptop starts and closes down as it should do. Thanks for the reply anyway. Swapped the connector over on the power supply and all seems to be working fine.

Another strange occurance in this weird and wonderful world of computing

:lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

huh so defective psu cord?! yep always a good idea to play swap-out on everything, right down to the damn cables. Good job there, get that money!

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.