8 reasons why i prefer windows over linux for my lappy

Problems? Post here...
pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

8 reasons why i prefer windows over linux for my lappy

Post by pseudo_opcode »

Ok first of all, all you people who think i m lame, i am a sysadmin with over 10 servers to monitor, so its not like i know nothing about linux,

anyway linux is much better OS than windows and everyone knows this(at suck-o), and linux provides so much control, that windows cant even imagine, but still there are things i love about windows, and there are some apps without them it would be really difficult for me to be organized, but its just for me, i m sure your views and experiences/requirements/preferences might be different from mine, so its just my personal opinion.

1.outlook-I was a Thunderbird user until i got my hands on a copy of windows office 2007 blue edition, i checked out outlook and i couldnt love it more.. it has a real nice and organized interface with so many options, views and features, and is miles ahead of Thunderbird, this app is neat, i would love to list some of cool features which arent there in Thunderbird(even with lightning addon).And it has so many handy features that i m sure none of you are aware of... I know the security issues, but a firewalled, updated system should do fine.. This app is actually neat!

ImageImage

2.Nokia PC suite and Sony Ericsson PC suite- ok i have two phones, one is nokia E71 which is a business phone, basically for my push email, and IM on the go, other is Sony Ericsson W350i basically for music, anyway i keep two numbers, so its really cool how these apps let me work sync my contacts and to-do lists and calendar with outlook, i can actually sync my contacts between two of them.. which makes my life a lot easier, also it supports phone backup at a mouse click, and these phones can connect via bluetooth so no wires.. and they can act as modem, so my gprs connection helps me stay online while on the move, this isnt really possible in linux. I know you can get their alternatives on linux but it isnt that fun.

3.Windows versions of clients- Personally IM clients like Yahoo, skype and msn have better looking clients for windows than for linux, and probably more features( i know pidgin p4wns) but still i m like addicted to their GUI

4.Drivers
a)Sound drivers- I have installed ubuntu on my lappy previously, but the windows drivers for audio sound much better than they did on ubuntu, ofcourse i configured my sound card on ubuntu properly and tried to tweak it too, but still there's a very slight difference, windows sounds better, i got a $50 pair of headphones, which are decent enough to tell you the difference.

b)Video Drivers-Windows is much much better, having ATI card and ubuntu is not a good idea, normally it would work fine, but since i am an eye-candy lover, and i feel not having some transparency effects on your desktop is kinda old fashioned, so compiz doesnt like my graphics card and their are some officially acknowledged bugs(Their are open source ATI drivers) but who cares. Plus the video quality in windows is much better, there are tweaks for linux, and i did them, but still its not as good as windows.

c)Wifi drivers-Everyone with wifi and linux must be aware of this.. how much pain wifi drivers can be.. i did manage to get them to work on ubuntu nicely without any problems, but again the initial setup was so much pain in the ass.

5.Mobiola web cam- now this is a cool app for me, i can use my E71 as a wireless webcam and it works over wifi, i m sure linux doesnt have anything like this.

6.Games- I sometimes like to play games, my lappy doesnt do good with wine.. and not all games work well with wine..

7.USB devices- All the gadgets which connect via usb have their own drivers and utility softwares, which are only meant for windows.. so i can realize a device's full potential and with ease.

8.Gmail drive(shell extension)- i can use my gmail account space like a network attached hard drive, a good handy place for backup, with easy access and transfer. I m not sure if linux has something like this.

So basically the main apps which are always open on my lappy are outlook, putty and IM clients like skype, yahoo,notepad++, gtalk,
they are my lifeline(and ofcourse firefox).
Apart from these, i dont really care if the software i m getting is "free", or is open source, i just want them to work for me and do what computers are made for.. make my life easier.
Most of you will say that probably i never explored linux enough, well before windows i had ubuntu, before that i had debian. And i have tried every tweak in the book and compiled apps wherever required to extract maximum from my hardware, i used 64 bit as well as "Generic" versions, and this is what matters at the end of the day.

Ofcourse windows still sucks for viruses, trojans and poor security, bugs, errors, BSODs, "send error report?send, dont send", paperclips, but if you are careful enough and know your stuff, its not that bad. Its not like they paid me or something..lol, its my personal opinion. I had faced problems like hang ups and BSODs, random restarts, but then linux hasnt been an easy glide either.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well I will agree with you on the Drivers issue. I do think that its dedicated Linux people that are pushing for more and more support form hardware manufactures. I think that this will eventually surpass windows in the near future especially if Microsoft continues to create a shitty product "Vista".

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

yeah floodie, i m running ultimate... and its a "borrowed" copy,
another thing i'd like to add to the list is my fingerprint scanner, again linux doesnt quite support it though there is a project going on..
i hope in near future they improve linux, that would really rock..

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

yeah there seems to be alot of windows haters in hacker forums.. i dont have a problem with windows in fact i have to use it for alot of applications that dont work well or at all with wine, and alot of times im too lazy to run everything threw a virtual machine, plus its slow on a virtual machine to run a big windows app, windows has better games also

i have no idea what version of windows im running its some kind of frankenstein windows xp pro / vista version

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I really like your thread. You presented some good points there. I have to agree with you. LInux is a good OS but it has its weaknesses. As a hacker you need to know the strengths and weaknesses of your OS.

Now I do not like windows. I am not talking about vista here just plain old windows. I have used windows for a while now and eventually I just could not work on windows any more and I had to go to linux.

Now if you plan to play games windows is a great platform. You can forget you are on a windows box. That is how I run windows most of the time. Either I play games on it or I have some application running on it like Vmware, AutoCAD,...and I forget I am actually using windows.

So I do use it from time to time it is not a plat form that I could spend a lot of time on. I just spend few hours on it doing certain tasks that windows is good with and that is it.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I am going to sum it up like this:

For the majority of tasks I am doing as of recent, I can do in a CLI on any *nix based system in 5 minutes, what would take 20 minutes on Windows. I can type quicker than I can point and click, Windows just does not offer an acceptable CLI solution - sure they have the power shell, but that is garbage in comparison. As I attain more knowledge, I find myself pushed further and further away from the big shiny buttons of a GUI - heck, I even check for new emails from the CLI.

What I have with Linux, I could never have with Windows.Linux is but a plumb, not quite ready for the picking, a bit too sour for everyones taste; where as Windows is an old shriveled up prune - ready to rot away. Windows 7 will be but another nail in the coffin and another foot deeper in the hole, I can't wait to kick it. Technology, innovation and society in general will be better for it. :)

PS. Try changing something you don't like on Outlook - oh wait, you can't. I can do whatever the hell I want to my Thunderbird install, just like life, your OS is only what you make of it...mine works for me, not against.