Vista 64bit: Program Files folders

Problems? Post here...
ayu
Staff
Staff

Vista 64bit: Program Files folders

Post by ayu »

I just ordered some more memory and a new HDD for my gaming system as a little Christmas present for myself, and since I want to use DirectX 10 for UT3 and all of the memory, I have to use Vista 64bit.

I have been reading a lot about tweaks and stuff to make it run a little more smooth, but there is something that bothers me, because on the 64bit version there are 2 program files folders, one "Program Files" for 64bit applications and one "Program Files(x86)" for 32bit applications, now I have read that Vista handles this by itself, and suggests the 32bit folder if the installer is 32bit, and vice versa.

But I usually install all my games to C:/Games because I have a special "system" on how I organize my stuff, but when I last tried this with Unreal Tournament 3 on Vista 64bit (a week ago or so), it didn't want to start correctly until I added some missing files.

Now my question is, do I HAVE to install it in one of the Program Files folders in this case? or is it simply a one in a million error that I got yet again? Because a friend of mine is using Vista 64bit and he installed the same game in the 32bit Program Files folder, and it worked just fine, yet mine didn't because I installed in C:/Games.

Anyone? =)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, it's possible you really have to use that folder, just one relative link somewhere could cause such problems because then files can't be found... :-k
too bad Windows don't supply such wonderful logs like Linux...(but it might still be worth checking the system event logs)...

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Cats you don't have to use the folder. I run Vista ultimate 64 bit version at work and I am placing programs in other folders as you suggest.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:hm, it's possible you really have to use that folder, just one relative link somewhere could cause such problems because then files can't be found... :-k
too bad Windows don't supply such wonderful logs like Linux...(but it might still be worth checking the system event logs)...

Yeah I thought so as well =/

floodhound2 wrote:Cats you don't have to use the folder. I run Vista ultimate 64 bit version at work and I am placing programs in other folders as you suggest.
Yeah, gonna install Vista Ultimate tomorrow when I (hopefully) get my new HDD, I'll post here again if it worked this time :) thanks for your answers and Merry Christmas! ^^

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Merry Christmas to you too cats, make sure to wear protective glasses when shooting your tree (insider joke)... :lol:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:Merry Christmas to you too cats, make sure to wear protective glasses when shooting your tree (insider joke)... :lol:
Yerr them trees have no chance against mah Swedish meatball launcher!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

*double post*

Ok I have installed everything now and it seems to work perfectly, it seems like it was the Vista version that was fucked up ...

Thanks for all the answers and Merry Christmas! (yeah we celebrate today in Sweden)