Why I hate Vista

Problems? Post here...
ayu
Staff
Staff

Why I hate Vista

Post by ayu »

Well, I had to install Vista to use all the computers power to play the games at their fullest (DirectX 10, memory, etc). And the reason why I installed it all of a sudden now, was that I was going to a LAN-party this weekend with some old friends, and, well .... I just came home after 2 days of reinstalling, crashing and swearing.

This is my love/hate list of Vista....

Hate

*When installing Vista, it does something to the other drives that for some reasons makes it hard to mount them in Linux.

*It's slow, takes a lot of resources

*I need it to use DirectX 10

*Not comfortable to use at all. There are a lot of functions that I would like to add/change

*For some reason it either removes or crashes IDE discs at random (3 people had this issue at the LAN-party)

*The "Games" menu is useless, only managed to link half of the games, and if I moved the games it was impossible to get the menu to work again for that game.

*I had my "storage" HDD online while installing Vista, and for some random reason it decided to install important boot files on that disc, so if I take it offline or remove those files, it wont start at all.

*If the computer for some reason hangs during use, and I have to use the power button to shut it down, it "sometimes" wants to check the HDD's, which either takes a very long time, or crashes 1+ drives.

*The annoying "Do you really want to do this?" messages can be partly turned of, but even if you chose "Do not ask this for this kind of file" it still keeps asking the same stupid question for that very same type of file.

"Love"

*Well, at least DirectX 10 works...

*I can use all my memory in the 64Bit version

*I like the design

*The repair function on the DVD works, since I had to use it a few times, I noticed.

Conclusion

I will most likely remove Vista, because it simply sucks, it's annoying to use, it always fucks up when you least need it to, and it messes with my other drives, which is not acceptable. Vista is like ME was, which was a complete failure, then we had XP, which was an ok to use OS, and we can only pray that Windows 7 will be as well.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ulysse
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by ulysse »

I dont get why people hate vista so much. i've been using it for more than 1 year and a half and he never gave me trouble...Well except when he crashed my video card and had to replace it with a new one...

But besides this crash, i guess i kind of figured how to costumise it at my likes so it can work as great as XP but with better graphics. Sure it still eats more memory than it's predecessor, but damn i believe its worth it when i see DX10 Games in action! You are right about the game menu tho... Picks up about 50% of games i installed, wich kinda sucks because i have to add them manually.

Personnaly i just think you have to really get used to it. It's the second most used OS out there, so knowing it well and being good with it is a rather great advantage over the rest of the world. No?! :-k
-Joie

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

It's the second most used OS out there, so knowing it well and being good with it is a rather great advantage over the rest of the world. No?!
That is my point I like to express. Granted its fun to tweak your own OS, and not have to pay for license fee. But because software vendors and peripheral device makers had to pick a 'standard' to qualify their tools or devices to work with 'most' computers, its Microsoft products. Microsoft still has some decent products - it didn't rise to market share by slick commercials or ripping off customers. Microsoft did not lobby to force manufacturers and software designers to one rule for just market domination - I still believe their vision was to organize everyone. To enforce TCP/IP over IPX protocol was to fix the problem of infighting and allow us to move on to the work of creating useful software and refine communication over the internet. For the rest, why fault Bill Gates for having a successful marketing plan, like SunOS or Mac would not have done exactly the same tactics MS did.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I never liked Vista, but I have to admit I only took a short look -> labeled it "not worth it" -> HDD format.... :lol:
I simply see no real use in it, I do my server stuff on Debian and if I have to use Windows (because it's simply more comfy in some issues, and there is still no driver for my expensive soundcard available for Linux) I use my old and totally unpatched XP.

but ok, now comes the part that some people thought I will never say: I am thinking about installing Vista on my new system... 8O
relax, no need to throw rocks at me already, let me explain first... :lol:
IF I install Vista it will be part of a 3-OS system: Debian Lenny, XP and Vista....so I will keep using Debian and XP like I am doing it now. so why installing Vista? well...for gaming. the mainboard of my new system (GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-DS4H) has an on-board ATI HD3300 g-card, but I will use a discrete one (ATI HD4850). the mainboard provides a "hybrid SLI" feature where the resources of both cards can be used to increase the performance...and guess on what OS this feature is only available: Vista... :roll:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Yeah I know the feeling b_b, we can just hope that Windows 7 will be a nice OS ^^

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Cats,

I never had a hard time mounting HDD with Linux. What version are you running and what problems did you experience.

I am running a dual-boot Fedora core 10 and Vista home basic. Never had an issue is why I ask.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

floodhound2 wrote:Cats,

I never had a hard time mounting HDD with Linux. What version are you running and what problems did you experience.

I am running a dual-boot Fedora core 10 and Vista home basic. Never had an issue is why I ask.
Running Vista Ultimate on one HDD and Ubuntu on another HDD, the HDD's are not on at the same time. But yes, it's an odd isue, and I'll look into it more later, since I fucked up the disk by deleting some files from it in Vista (thus resulting in the disc being able to mount) I have not tried it again, but I'll have a look later and report back here =)

einax17
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by einax17 »

Windows 98 Rules

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

98 was good in its time

xp was the fucking best,dont deny it,cos it was

2k was too fucking slow

and 95,i was only a litle kid laying dos games on a pc that took 5 inch floppy disks

anyways all i can say is,i love windows xp and will stik with it for a long time