Best AV?

Problems? Post here...
f4Gg0t_43
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Best AV?

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Sorry for the stupid question, but I don't have an anti-virus yet, but I do have a firewall, and a lot of weird programs tried to connect to the internet, of course i blocked and google'd them and there all dangerous. So... I need an av now, so what should I get? I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Well If things are happening, ie popups and software trying to install i recommend any new user to have the following on the system.

1. Firewall (you already have)
2. Anti spyware/ Adware etc ......adaware se and spybot search and destroy for this.
3. A cleaner ..... CCleaner
4. Anti-Virus .... there are quite a few free ones but if you are looking for a free version use Kaspersky 30 day trial. I use Comodo AV and FW.

Next you can start to build on your system from there with software like Process explorer.

Good luck :wink:

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

Thanks, just downloaded all the programs you mentioned, but I think I got rid of it with "malwarebytes". It caught 30 things, restarted, nothing tried to connect to the internet.

EDIT: KasperSky won't install with search and destroy installed.

lilrofl
Siliconoclast
Siliconoclast

AV

Post by lilrofl »

Well, I use AVG for anti virus, I know it's turned into quite the resource hog since it was first let out of the box, but it does a good job, and still maintains free updates for life which is good after all.

I have heard good things about NOD32, and there is another one who's name escapes me at the moment.

The bad, AVG has one weakness that is almost unforgivable, it's inability to deal with malicious VBS autorun scripts that are so prevalent on flash media these days, luckily there are small programs that are dedicated to cleaning flash media of such scripts, and life goes on.

Further bad, AVG murders virus collections with little warning, so may be hazardous to your collection when tiered lol.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Kaspersky 7 rocks....I use Kaspersky Internet Security 7, both AV and (especially) the firewall are really great! but don't get the latest 2009 version, it sucks....the firewall configuration is nonsense compared to version 7, especially the "training mode" of the firewall is missing, with this feature you are prompted for action on every network activity of any application....and you can create rules to allow/deny IPs, ports and protocols for every app. if you know german I could even get a fully working KIS7 version for you (for 1 year), totally legal and for free.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I installed NOD32 on mine and I have to say it is good. It now has a firewall and you can see all the programs connected to the internet and how much data is being sent or received from the internet.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

I personally use NOD32 and have been using it since ever.
I've only been infected once in my life. Before the infection I've only used NOD32. If I can recall correctly it was the ActiveX virus (the one you "need to download to see this video") and it was a .bat file so I'm not certain if NOD32 could have helped on that (can AVs scan .bat files?). It was a rather cool virus :)
After the infection an the complete format of my computer I've increased my defense:

Real time defense:
-NOD32 - antivirus
-SpywareTerminator - antispyware
-ZoneAlarm Pro - firewall

These I use additionally for scanning my computer:
-Kaspersky porable
-Spybot search and destroy
-HijackThis
-AVG until recently

These programs are useful for security:
-Process Explorer (replacement for the traditional MS TaskManager)
-NetMeter (program to monitor internet traffic)
-TCPView (to monitor all the connections. you can get it here:
http://www.suck-o.com/modules.php?name= ... tit&lid=32)

Mozilla Firefox addons:
-FlashBlock (blocks the annoying flash advertisement, or any other flash's by that matter)
-NoScript (good defense against clickjacking)
-WOT (now this is a very handy addon. It displays the ratings (trustworthiness, vendor reliability, privacy and child safety) of every site you visit or are about to visit, it's displayed by the links too, that is if anyone rated that site. So when you visit a downloading site that's rated dangerous you'll proceed with double caution, at least I hope you will ;))

OK that was a bit off topic, sorry for that. Although I hope it helped someone :)
Anyways back on topic:
NOD32 proved himself to me as a good AV altogether. The only bad thing is that I had to renew my license twice the past week (67 and 24 years just flied by), but now it seems all OK.

*edit*
Of course you know that common sense if the best defense against all the malice whether it be computer related or other?

f4Gg0t_43

Post by f4Gg0t_43 »

wow I installed kaspersky 09 and it marked every .html page on my computer (over 30,000) as a trojan.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

maybe your computer is a trojan.

Thats why I like Comodo firewall and AVP, two separate tools.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bozotheclown138

Post by bozotheclown138 »

avira is what id call personally the best, highest detection rate, and the best at finding crypted objects so thats useful if you use torrents and comodo firewall is what i use, but other good tools are hijackthis, spybot search and destroy (without their protection options, they are hogs) malwarebytes antimalware and asquaredfree for spyware removers.

3XTORTION

Post by 3XTORTION »

Lol dude...the thread is from 6 months ago ! ](*,)

bozotheclown138

Post by bozotheclown138 »

haha ah didnt check the date it was only on the second page so i thought it was somewhat decent, im sorry for that then haha