Mouse Doesn't Work in Login

Problems? Post here...
svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Mouse Doesn't Work in Login

Post by svyatko »

I have ran into another problem...

Well my screen colors were a bit messed up, and I couldn't reset them to default for some reason. So, I uninstalled all the nvidia drivers, hoping that when I reinstall them everything will be back to normal. I uninstalled them, and restarted the computer, but after the restart I can't move my mouse in the login, therefore I can't click the Icon to login. The USBs themselves are fine, the laser on the mouse works, but it just won't move.

How can I fix this?

Also I can't get a mouse that doesn't use the USB because the motherboard doesn't have that kind of port.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also installed Ubuntu 9.04, and the mouse works fine there. O and Ubuntu doesn't work NOW, because after a Disk Check by Windows when it started up...or maybe it was something else that caused Ubuntu not to work. Ubuntu loads and loads, and than the screen goes black..and that's it. Well I will be reinstalling Ubuntu anyways because of my poor partitioning skills I only gave it like 8 gigs. I can't reinstall Windows though because I lost the CD key and it won't reinstall without it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the Help!!!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, boot Windows into safe mode and see if the mouse works there...if yes it must be a startup entry that interferes with the mouse driver. I had a similar case where the autostart of the Vidalia/Privoxy bundle disabled my mouse... :-k

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

your ubuntu was black likely because of wrong video settings...you should be able to fix that from GRub at boot time and choosing the restore option...

your mouse not working i would have no idea why...try using different USB ports? Make sure your batteries are fine and if it's wireless that the signal receiver is in proper range...

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

I tried safe mode, and the mouse doesn't work there either.

After looking in at what CommonStray said, I was able to restore the options, and Ubuntu loads fine now.

More ideas are welcome! Thanks!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, ok, you can also use the cursor without a mouse in XP:
Press Alt+Left Shift+Num Lock all at once and a prompt will appear telling you that you have activated mousekeys, select ok then you can control the mouse with the numpad.

The controls are:
1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9 = move the mouse
5 = mouse button click
+ = double click
insert = hold down mouse button
delete = release mouse button (after holding it down with insert)
/, * or - = select which mouse button the above controls will click (left, both or right respectively)
numlock = disable mousekeys
the cursor will move pretty slow but it works fine, go into msconfig that way and check the autostart entries... :wink:

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

The problem seems bigger than I thought... The Keyboard doesn't work either. I tried the USB keyboard and the keyboard that uses the old port...none of them work (the lights that show if caps lock is on don't even turn on when I hit caps Lock).

Thanks for trying, anything else I can try to fix this problem?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

phew....now it gets really hard.... ](*,) :lol:
um, do you have to enter the serial again when doing a repair install with Windows? I don't think so, but I have to admit that the last time I have done a repair install was about 2 years ago, so I could be wrong... :-k

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

If he uses repair install he will need to add the key again. What about using the repair utilities instead and trying

fixboot
or/and
fixmbr

to recover the windows boot problem?

Just a thought :?
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, the boot sector seems to be ok, he can boot into Windows and Ubuntu (if I understood it right and both OSs are on the same system), so overwriting the boot sector would only replace the GRUB one.... :-k

hmm...now that a repair install needs the key again I am pretty out of ideas at the moment....accessing the Windows registry from Linux and checking for problems there would be an option, but there is no guarantee at all that the problem isn't caused by a faulty driver or even something completely different, and it's also pretty dangerous.
but if you are interested check the bootdisk here:
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

](*,) I found the CD key in some box :lol:
I used the repair function and everything works now.

Just in case someone does lose their CD key, and Windows doesn't start up I found another two ways of getting the CD key. I haven't tried them though, so they might not work.

1) Use Jelly Bean Key Finder and the hive function it has. Read the FAQ for more info.

2) Use This Guide to get the XP key by using Linux.

Well I'm going to reinstall Ubuntu (hopefully the right way).
Thanks for the Help!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

XP CD keys look really cool as tattoo I heard.... :lol: :P

good luck with the Ubuntu reinstall.... :wink: