Thunderbird go to hell

Problems? Post here...
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Thunderbird go to hell

Post by bad_brain »

alright, I really had enough now, Thunderbird started to show the same buggy behavior as Firefox in the last time ("Process is still running, end it first, blah"), so I decided to get rid of it.
so I've looked for a really lightweight and fast email client, no need for fancy gimmicks...and I found heaven in Sylpheed:
http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/

compared to Thunderbird it is DAMN fast, checking my 3 mail accounts needs about 2-3 seconds, in Thunderbird it were at least 15! and don't worry about losing emails you have stored or about the address book, both can be transfered (export the mailboxes in MBOX format, you can import them in Sylpheed then).

the only drawback compared to Thunderbird is that no RSS reader is on board, but that's just a little annoyance compared to the benefits... :D

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

B_B I hate to say it but Chrome is working great for me so far. At times it will have some issues but its rare.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I might try it, because I also want to get rid of FF.... :-k

moudy
Technology Enthusiast
Technology Enthusiast

Post by moudy »

Why is Firefox becoming that messed up ?
Firefox used to be one of the best. :roll:
mahmoud_shihab@hotmail.com

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

no idea, I guess it's because the code became totally bloated since the had the great idea to make IE v2 out of it instead of following the "lightweight and fast" path.
they can show as much benchmarks as they want to, but I am totally convinced that FF2 was was faster than FF3....the last FF version I really liked was 2.0.16, from then it went straight downhill.
the strange thing is that Thunderbird started to show exactly the same annoying bugs as FF lately (hanging processes that used 50% CPU resources), also new features turned out to be simply idiotic, like that automatic account setup which always ends up in an IMAP account and can't be skipped.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

just found an interesting list of problematic FF extensions:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Funny, NoScript's problems are that it blocks flash and scripts if the user has forbidden it's executions - but that's what it's supposed to do. Just like saying: "Web browsers are a problem because you can visit websites with them" :?