usb ports stopped working

Problems? Post here...
Macross
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

usb ports stopped working

Post by Macross »

Since i have a new pc i haven't used my old one for a while now. Today i wanted to intall linux so i turned it on and immediately noticed that usb ports stopped working after hardware detection (Mouse diode lights up and then goes away). Also for some reason windows boots really slowly. I have tried to reinstall windows but after windows cd boots up it's lights out for my usb devices. So what could cause this problem? i

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: usb ports stopped working

Post by bad_brain »

hm, checked BIOS if they are enabled at all? :-k

Macross

Post by Macross »

Yes they are enabled.
Edit: Tried to boot up from linux live cd but still same problem after boot up check usb ports stopped working...

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Check the temperature of the CPU in the bios, there is a good chance the CPU might need new fresh thermal paste :-k
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...possible, but then it should work properly for a while after the first boot in the morning (assuming the box isn't running 24/7).... :-k
is it working when you boot with all USB devices unplugged?
if not: is it working properly when you boot with USB completely disabled in BIOS?

do you have a PS2 keyboard? would be helpful if you could boot Linux and check the syslog.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

just a toss -

USB ports are soldered to the mobo', I have seen where if you bashed the USB plug while it was plugged in, you can lift the USB port off the mobo' - ya broke it.
Just make sure you did a visual check of the gear and cables. What if the USB cable is pinched and shorting out the Ports? A dead bug was indeed the first 'computer bug' - so many stupid things could make logical stuff happen.

Restart your inspection - start over from the beginning, keep a fresh mind. Since you have already checked the system for enabled USB ports, I sense we are missing something..

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Artificial Interceptor

Post by Artificial Interceptor »

I've experienced something like that on my freinds computer, and i couldn't fix it, but a thought stroke me at once when thinking about your problem there, #-o , could a simpel BIOS upgrade help anything? and have you cleaned your computer before turning it on? might be some dust curcuiting the main board, or if the computer has been placed at a place where there was a little water moisture in the air the moisture might have gone into the electronics on the main board, you could have turned it on before it had dried of ?
Sincerly Artificial Interceptor [i]aka[/i] Plexrod
Music is Art!!.. Hacking is Art!!

Macross

Post by Macross »

computathug wrote:Check the temperature of the CPU in the bios, there is a good chance the CPU might need new fresh thermal paste :-k
I've replaced the thermal paste not so long ago when whole pc was freezing all the time so i don't think that this will help :)
bad_brain wrote:hmm...possible, but then it should work properly for a while after the first boot in the morning (assuming the box isn't running 24/7).... :-k
is it working when you boot with all USB devices unplugged?
if not: is it working properly when you boot with USB completely disabled in BIOS?

do you have a PS2 keyboard? would be helpful if you could boot Linux and check the syslog.
I will check this in later when i have some free time. And yeah i do have PS2 keyboard last time i tried to install linux it just died after formating HDD for some reason... I think this is the mobos fault because i have already tested HDD and RAM they are working properly. It has all started from an usb ports and now it's slows whole computer down to snails phase... And i can't find a new motherboard which would support ancient technology :D
DNR wrote:just a toss -

USB ports are soldered to the mobo', I have seen where if you bashed the USB plug while it was plugged in, you can lift the USB port off the mobo' - ya broke it.
Just make sure you did a visual check of the gear and cables. What if the USB cable is pinched and shorting out the Ports? A dead bug was indeed the first 'computer bug' - so many stupid things could make logical stuff happen.

Restart your inspection - start over from the beginning, keep a fresh mind. Since you have already checked the system for enabled USB ports, I sense we are missing something..

DNR
From visual side it's all looks good. Strange thing is that after the usb ports died my whole pc became a slug so i suspect that this is my mobos fault.
Artificial Interceptor wrote:I've experienced something like that on my freinds computer, and i couldn't fix it, but a thought stroke me at once when thinking about your problem there, #-o , could a simpel BIOS upgrade help anything? and have you cleaned your computer before turning it on? might be some dust curcuiting the main board, or if the computer has been placed at a place where there was a little water moisture in the air the moisture might have gone into the electronics on the main board, you could have turned it on before it had dried of ?
BIOS version is the latest.
Yeah i have first cleaned my pc from dust before turning it on after it's been siting under my desk for a while.