INTEGRATING FINGER PRINT WITH PHP

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
intern3t
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

INTEGRATING FINGER PRINT WITH PHP

Post by intern3t »

is it possible to integrate APC usb finger print with php technology.If yes,How?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: INTEGRATING FINGER PRINT WITH PHP

Post by ayu »

Guess it would be possible.

But it depends on what you really want to do with it.
Do you want to use it on a website?

If yes, then no, php can't do it like that, as it is server side.
You would have to have some software that sends a hash or something the the site and then processes it.

But be aware of bio authentication and hashes, as they never really match 100% = different hashes
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I agree with Cats in that it can be done and that its not 100%. You would have to be more specific in the details so that I might be able to help point you in the right direction.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

There are a number of problems with using fingerprint authentication on websites.

Cats brought up a good point: Fingerprint scans won't be an exact match of your stored record of it.

Transmitting the scanned fingerprint is also a greater security threat than simply sending a password - it's not so easy to change your fingerprint if someone 'steals' it from over the network. I guess you could use a different finger, but you only have ten (usually).

Now i haven't done anything like this, but i'm willing to bet fingerprint data is a good bit larger than a simple password. You'll probably need to compress the data to send it over the network. Lossy compression is a no-go.

Also, you can't use a one-way hash for the fingerprint data, since you still have to analyze it on the server side. You'd need to use a very secure method of encryption.

Overall, fingerprint authentication over the web is a bad idea, in my opinion. Too much of a security risk to be used as a security measure.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...