Cell phone weirdness

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Cell phone weirdness

Post by Gogeta70 »

I was just on the phone with a friend of mine. After talking for about 5 minutes, only for about a second, i heard a very quiet, slightly delayed repetition of what he just said. I tried listening for it during the rest of the conversation, but i was only on the phone for a few more minutes before hanging up.

Now maybe it's nothing, but i'm curious. What could cause something like that? I don't know a whole lot about cellular networks.

I thought maybe the signal was re-broadcast by another tower that's a bit further away, but seeing as it only happened for a second, i don't think that's it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Cell phone weirdness

Post by DNR »

Well a cellphone network is a digital data packet network, the packets for each sound/voice bite is numbered, and duplicate numbered packets should be discarded as it would on a computer network.

Now, the cellphone handset itself is a radio - and can be prone to RFI (not remote file inclusion lol)
So any interference was with your handset or his. Radio waves do weird things, you can pick up clicking noises (thats the handset communication with a cellco tower), whining from RFI from a car's alternator, etc. The voice loopback could have happened as you walked by a strong RF device like a radio, TV, CB radio, wifi base station, etc.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

it can also be caused by the phone service provider itself! at least I made that strange experience already when using different pre-call providers (I save a lot of money when making calls to the USA that way).
when using one provider I hear myself a lot (kinda like the mic is connected to the speaker), but only until the actual connection is made...then that effect is gone. so it must have to do with the hardware of the provider, sadly I am not really familiar with that kind of technology... :-k

Broken Angel
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Broken Angel »

So if we go noe hat DNR sir said its like if we ourselves put a strong Radio device besides us we can have fun with it?
God Blessed Me With Forgiveness And I Forgive You With My Revenge...!

-Broken Angel

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Broken Angel wrote:So if we go noe hat DNR sir said its like if we ourselves put a strong Radio device besides us we can have fun with it?
I think your message got lost in translation there man.

Ahh, so it was probably just radio interference, huh? It's just odd - i was in the garage smoking a cigarette, leaning against the wall. I suppose it could've been from his end though.

So cellular networks run on TCP? Haha, awesome.

Ah i suppose b_b could be right too...

eugh... i need sleep... night guys
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

well BB brings a good point - some cellco companies have to share or use another third party cable to complete the connection, so various issues can arise on the cellco network itself.

ah well

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.