Design and Model Hardware (Concept to Creation)

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Design and Model Hardware (Concept to Creation)

Post by maboroshi »

I am looking for information on how to design and model hardware. What goes in to the creation of a chip. What makes successful hardware? What math is involved. What must I learn to be able to Design and Model it but not so much create it.

I am sure Floodhound has some advice but I am open to everyone :-)

*cheers

Maboroshi

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Re: Design and Model Hardware (Concept to Creation)

Post by floodhound2 »

A lot goes in to design a device.

A basic over view

1. Find parts that fit what you are going to make or make the circuits that you cant find a part for. (this requires a knowledge of electronics).

2. Design circuit (using paper and pencil or software) and test on a bread board(the parts you selected or circuits you made). Re-calculate all the numbers again and or verify the logic, protocols, stack space, timing, ESD, EFM etc, you get the picture.

3. Port circuit to a auto-router program.

4. Make parts fit on PCB (often modeling them) and either hand route or let program do it. I always hand route most traces because I deal with mix signal more than not.

5. Create Gerbers and do DRC and other none checks.

6. Outsource PCB using Gerbers(I outsource price for prototypes 5 PCBs for $140), or print PCB yourself using laser printer.

This just scratches the surface because there are a hundred details within each step. Feel free to ask more questions if you like. *thumb* Hope this helps.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Wow that is a lot haha. I was just thinking out loud I guess ty and take care :-)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Its not that bad really. If you can program then you have the mind set for electronics already. For example in code often you might have to de-bounce a button or filter a signal this also can translate to electronics. Kalman filter inn code can be replaced with a RC filter in electronics, etc...

In fact suck-o has always been about hacking computers / software but if you truly want to become a true hacker then learn what I know (zeros and ones - machine speak). Soon you'll see that computers / software are trivial its the hardware that holds the golden egg.

I am here to show you the light... :twisted: just ask...
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Show me the light floodhound I want to understand how to build design and implement my own hardware.

Where do I start, reading material, web sites. I have big ideas which can only be realized if I learn how to implement hardware :-)

What tools do I need? I really want to start learning. do you have any sort of IM Google Talk Yahoo/MSN where we can communicate :-)

I will send you a PM and we can talk

*cheers man

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Mab I would pm you but my resolution is screwed up and I cant get to the send button. So here is where i will reach to you.

1. Get a good calculator, learn algebra and mostly learn to have fun solving math problems.
2. Learn 3 things and in this order:

Resistor (series, parallel and voltage divider)
Capacitor (how is it differ in an AC circuit and a DC circuit)
Inductor (how is it differ in an AC circuit and a DC circuit)

Then when it gets tough and you think things get too complex remember electronics has only 3 parts.

A conductor, a insulator and a simi-conductor. That is all it boils down to

Ask me anything i am here to help. Even if its the stupidest question; ask me.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

I LOVE MATH!!!

I am going to get in to high school math again, this September revamp my skills then maybe take some university math when finished that :D

I will learn algebra but I need to brush up on some basic math knowledge first :-)

September seems like a long way to get started so maybe I will download torremts of Math books :D

I will learn these things as much as I can to get started *cheers man :-)

Lundis
Distorter of Reality
Distorter of Reality

Post by Lundis »

I started learning electronics seriously about a year ago. At first it seemed daunting (which is why I never really got started before that), but once you know about the basic concepts and components it gets easier. As floodie said, it's very much like programming. Components/chips may take input and output, just like a function in programming. And if you still think it's complicated after a lot of studying (it is! :D), check out digital electronics, it's way less complicated in general and might get you started. At least it helped me a lot :)

Get yourself an Arduino and some kind of starter kit (breadboard, wires, resistors, transistors, LEDs, capacitors etc etc) and start testing things out.

I learned from this book, it starts out from scratch with the physics you need to know and everything and moves on to explain most common components and different circuits

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Electricity-Electronics-Edition/dp/0071741356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343421251&sr=8-1&keywords=teach+yourself+electricity+and+electronics

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Lundis is right mad.

Digital might be the hook that reels you in. Digital electronics can be simple most of the time and is a great point for transition as a programmer. You still have a lot to learn about a lot of stuff but it becomes addicting. :twisted:

I will consider teaching via skype if anyone needs help.

I have designed PCBs for almost 10 yearns now and became an electrical engineer just about 4 years ago.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

start with a robot building kit, even a small robot can help you see the design.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Hiram
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Hiram »

maboroshi wrote:I am looking for information on how to design and model hardware. What goes in to the creation of a chip. What makes successful hardware? What math is involved...
Image Image Image
Semiconductor ICs (Integrated Circuits or chips) are fabricated in a layer
process.

Integrated circuits are composed of many overlapping layers, each
defined by photolithography, and normally shown in different colors.
Some layers mark where various dopants are diffused into the
substrate (called diffusion layers), some define where additional ions
are implanted (implant layers), some define the conductors (polysilicon
or metal layers), and some define the connections between the
conducting layers (via or contact layers). All components are
constructed from a specific combination of these layers.

You may not be seeking to manufacture a chip, but having technical
knowledge limits imaginations. I used to think that real transistors,
resistors, diodes or capacitors were packed in a tiny chip in hundreds
of thousands, but as you have seen, components are constructed by
structural layers.

There is Engineering Mathematics. Please, don't deviate to economics or
politics!
This World, this Universe, belongs to All in it;
you just have to know exactly where you belong!!!