Magnetic card readers/writers

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Magnetic card readers/writers

Post by ayu »

I decided to start reading about how magnetic cards work, and I want to "play around" with some of the cards in my wallet.
But I found out that these readers/writers are pretty expensive.

So I'm thinking that maybe someone here know of a good place to buy one?
Or maybe you have one laying around that you don't need anymore, or know someone who has?

If anyone has one, or has some experience in this (stuff I should think about), then let me know :D

Would be appreciated! :)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Re: Magnetic card readers/writers

Post by reparto »

I guess your best bet is to find a store thats about to go out of business and try and make a deal. Or you maybe able to find these on some digital safe that uses magnetic strips for authentication???

Also... https://squareup.com/register" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its a card reader for android and ios... for some reason this is a sensible idea :lol:

Also... http://www.instructables.com/id/Read-an ... e-reader-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basically a homebrew card reader that works with Square, it turns out that the card reader sends an audio track with the magnetic data (tape player???)
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I would be interested too in a cheap used reader (and especially writer). I have checked them a few years ago already, and yeah...DAMN expensive. I might have a look at the ebay-like marketplace (german one) where private people sell a lot of weird stuff, maybe with a little luck I find one...or even 2... :wink:

at least I have 1 tip to save money, it's by building your own cards (the ones with the magnet) strip: you can use any kind of material where you cut out the actual card, and as magnet strip you can simple use a piece of an old VHS tape (I guess Betamax works too :lol: ).

reparto

Post by reparto »

Could you not modify a tape player to work as a card reader/writer? It would take some work but it should be doable.

P.S. Is it alright to have this stuff in the more public area, FBI are pretty intent on checking anything that looks like carding.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, it SHOULD be possible, the read/write head is just a bit small so the adjustment could be a pain in the rear....the older tape recorders should be much easier to use... :-k
but then again...such tape recorders are rare and most likely even more expensive than a used card writer... :lol:

and no, all fine, we are not talking about "creating credit cards" (if we would the thread/post would have went the where all the earlier CC posts went too: deleted. :lol: ) we are talking about cards in general which is simply a data storage solution like CDs or USB drives. :wink:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Cats,

Im the man for this - i have some sitting here want me to send them to you? If not take a look at https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11096

American dollars
cards = $.99
reader usb style = $45

Nothing strange about them its totally legal. I will send you these for free if you want. *thumb*
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

floodhound2 wrote:Cats,

Im the man for this - i have some sitting here want me to send them to you? If not take a look at https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11096

American dollars
cards = $.99
reader usb style = $45

Nothing strange about them its totally legal. I will send you these for free if you want. *thumb*
That sounds great! :D
Do you mean free as in free shipping or free as in totally free?
Either way is fine, as it's cheaper then what I could find here :D

Thanks a bunch man!
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"