HDD is making loud noises

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

HDD is making loud noises

Post by reparto »

I have a 1TB WD Black Enterprise drive, I think its 10k RPM and SATA2. And its loud as hell, I only noticed it recently because of all the games I installed on to it.

Are enterprise drives normally loud or should I upgrade to a newer drive.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: HDD is making loud noises

Post by bad_brain »

hm, depends on your definition of "loud". what kind of noise is it and when does it appear? if it's a rattling sound during read/write activity it should be ok (as long as you don't notice any lags or system freezes), because enterprise drives are optimized for speed and not for low noise output like the consumer class drives. the WD Raptor I am using is also speed optimized, and it is also very loud during read/writes.

another thing would be noise during spinning up/down, because that would point to a dying bearing.

to be on the safe side you could use WD's own diagnostic tool:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download ... =2&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reparto

Post by reparto »

The noise is more like a gearbox when you change gears, it a loud clunking noise and only happens during loading of large applications (Cryengine editor, VS 2012, Photoshop, most games...)

During the drive test, I could hear it spin up and it sounded like a high speed fan so the bearings are probably fine. During the test it made no odd noises so the drive seems in good physical condition.

The WD test came back as a PASS so I checked how fragmented the drive was and its at 7%, which shouldn't cause any problems. I ran the defrag any way because it feels nice having a 0% fragmentation :lol:
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I wouldn't worry about it then, important files should be always backed up anyway .
the 2.5 inch drive on my Debian netbook also makes a weird loud "clack!" noise every time in wents into hibernation mode, it's also a WD one, the Maxtor I've used before didn't....might have to do with some firmware function which moves the read/write head to the stop point or something.