oh you dirty mouse...O_O

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

oh you dirty mouse...O_O

Post by bad_brain »

finally managed it to disassemble my trusty Logitech Revolution MX mouse today...I am using it since years already and I totally love it, simply because it's perfectly ergonomic to my hand and the way the buttons (also the number of buttons) are placed is great (I have mute, volume up/down, browser page back/forth on the buttons).
but lately the free spinning mousewheel wasn't working properly anymore (you can set a specific speed the wheel has to be spinned with, when reached it starts to spin freely, which is awsome for long scrolls), even short spins were not reliable anymore which was is especially annoying in FPS games in context with quick weapon changing.
I already thought I will have to buy a new one, which would have pissed me off because the model is discontinued and on the new version I don't like how the buttons are placed.

Logitech was quite sneaky with hiding the way you can disassemble it, but I found out there are 4 screws hidden under the gliders...after peeling them off with caution I had access to those screws and voila: open! :D

I instantly got a clue why the wheel has some functional problems:

:lol:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: oh you dirty mouse...O_O

Post by ayu »

ew xD

I'm allergic to dust, and that mouse looks like a death trap to me xD
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I always keep my hardware VERY clean (wait, that sounds kinda wrong, doesn't it? :lol: ), but with that mouse you simply have no chance so see if there is any dirt inside because all you have is that tiny slot on the surface. I also really didn't expect THAT much dirt getting inside through that slot.
but well, I am using it since a long time already (must be about 5 years!) and because I had no idea there are 4 hidden screws I always assumed it's assembled by the usual snap mechanism...of course every earlier attempt to disassemble if failed because of that.

reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by reparto »

Are the gliders the black plastic pads on the bottom of the mouse? If so, how were they attached? Did you have to glue them back on or was there some other mechanism? I have the G500 and it has a similar design so it might be useful if I knew this.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yes, it's the plastic thingies (1 big on top, 3 smaller on the bottom), you have to be a bit cautious when removing them....when you bend them too much if will leave an edge.
they are attached with some double-sided adhesive tape (make sure to pull it off together with the gliders) which is very sticky (even mine was after such a long time) so you can easily put them back in again... :wink: