[post your workplace] anyone having an IPS panel monitor?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

[post your workplace] anyone having an IPS panel monitor?

Post by bad_brain »

I am planning to buy a new monitor, my trusty 19 inch TFT isn't bad but I feel the urge for something more up to date in context with the resolution and technology.

my main candidate at the moment is the Eizo Foris FS2333:
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/foris/fs2333/#tab01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it's specified as "gaming monitor", but that's mainly because it has some gimmicks (like settings you can choose from to make dark areas look brighter, pretty pointless imo) especially for gaming use, but from what I have read it's simply a high quality screen which can provide a 100% correct calibration.

it's an IPS panel monitor, and those seems to suffer (or have suffered?) from smear effects in context with fast movements....anyone with an IPS panel who has some experience? :-k

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: anyone having an IPS panel monitor?

Post by ayu »

I have this one

Code: Select all

http://www.dustin.se/product/5010660631/asus-mx279h-27-wide-tft-led-black/
I play Battlefield 4 on highest settings and watch all my movies in 1080p.

Zero issues so far :D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

alrighty.... :D from what I have read older IPS panels suffered from that a lot, seems they have fixed that problem now....so I might go for the Eizo one... :D

reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by reparto »

The smear effects are due to a high response latency.

Essentially, you just want a low latency IPS, afaik, 5ms is fine for most people.

But as an extra 2cents, just note that high quality TN based panels can achieve similar colour reproduction to IPS panels but with much lower response times. These are only found in the top-end Samsung 3D monitors and also the Korean rebrands on ebay. But that doesn't matter if you want better than TN and don't care for 3D...

Also, 4K monitors have the same IPS colour reproduction plus... 1ms response times. So if you want to go all out then I would suggest to get a 4k monitor even though your graphics card wont support it (I think AMD only goes up to 2.5K)
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, the monitor I am using since years has 5 ms, which never caused any problems with gaming for me. but ok, it's just a 19 inch one, so with increased size the reaction time might become more important...but with 3.4 ms like the Eizo I should be on the safe side.

kinda hard to compare the reaction times the different manufacturers announce for their displays anyway....because many don't say what method they are using (grey to grey or black to white).

to be honest the "100% proper color calibration" is for me just a "cool to have because I like my things being perfect" and not REALLY that useful for my everyday use.....I am pretty colorblind. :lol:
interesting point though with the 4k monitors, didn't knew that....I will definitely look into it as I am planning to build a whole new main system soon which will also include a new g-card... :-k

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

good news everyone...I got a new monitor today... \:D/

I got away from the Eizo monitor because I was reading a lot of ambivalent reviews, Eizo seems to have a problem with keeping their quality checks....so you can be lucky and get a good model or you get a crappy one and have to bring it back to replace it, hoping the next one will be a winner.

instead of Eizo I decided to got for a manufacturer known for stable standards and good quality: iiyama.
so yes, I am the proud owner of a ProLite XB2380HS IPS panel monitor with 23 inch, and wow...suddenly I feel 50% less colorblind, shows how crappy my old one was. :o

here's the manufacturer site: http://www.iiyama.com/gb_en/products/pr ... b2380hs-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Awesome man!

I use an LCD TV for my monitor, probably terrible for the eyes. Your next purchase should be a desk. I have an old school principles desk which I use.

:-)

Anyway cool stuff :D

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, depends on the frequency, but as long as you don't sit really close to there should be no problem... :-k
the main advantages of IPS panels are the more precise display of colors and the much wider viewing angle, so it's not really about being "more eye friendly"... :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

aaalrighty...been quite productive today! built myself a new desk with a LOT more space and finally a proper sitting position... \:D/

SO much better now....but it will take some time to get used to it... :o

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Nice man!

Looks like a pretty sturdy desk and more space to work in :-)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

That looks awesome! :D

I'll show my setup with my screen later today as well :D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sweet...go for it...I might adjust the topic a bit... :mrgreen:

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Re: [post your workplace] anyone having an IPS panel monitor?

Post by ph0bYx »

Finally a new desk! Looks much better now *thumb*

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

thanks buddy...:D
and yeah, my old desk was kinda embarrassing, and the parts for the new one were just about 100 € in the hardware store...if I would have known that I would have done it much earlier already (ok, most likely not, too lazy...it was actually the size of the new monitor that forced me now... :lol: ).

ph0bYx
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by ph0bYx »

Double win :)

What's that pad between the right speaker and the mouse?