3D Printer Recommendations

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

3D Printer Recommendations

Post by maboroshi »

I am thinking of saving up to purchase a 3D Printer and materials. Does anyone have any recommendations on a 3D printer to purchase?

Also what are some recommendations for software to design prints?

*cheers

Mabo!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: 3D Printer Recommendations

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I have experience at all with 3D printers, those thingies are still way too expensive to become interesting for me... :?

but have a look here, might help:
http://3d-printers.toptenreviews.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Why not build your own at a fraction of the price.
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"
https://tshirt-memes.com

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh, nice.... :-k

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

Awesome... This is what I will do. Thanks man :-)

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

If anyone is interested I am hoping to get a team of people I know locally to build this.

[youtube][/youtube]

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

I am trying to drop into a local hacker space - they have 3 - 3D printers for members to use. The club is about $100 a month, but you get access to all the tools there. I want to start a UGV/UAV project soon.

A hybrid UAV/UGV caught my muse... http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/entertainm ... copter.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

reparto_temp
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by reparto_temp »

I have actually contributed to this project:
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Buyers'_Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its an open source 3d printer which is around a tenth of the commercial ones, I have used it myself for design projects and its great for prototyping or making lightweight parts.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

reparto_temp wrote:I have actually contributed to this project:
http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Buyers'_Guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice I will be sure to ask you about developing it as I will have to do that one first in order to build the Metal one.

Awesome :-)

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

DNR wrote:I am trying to drop into a local hacker space - they have 3 - 3D printers for members to use. The club is about $100 a month, but you get access to all the tools there. I want to start a UGV/UAV project soon.

A hybrid UAV/UGV caught my muse... http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/entertainm ... copter.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DNR
Nice, that looks like a pretty cool development.

reparto_temp
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by reparto_temp »

maboroshi wrote: Nice I will be sure to ask you about developing it as I will have to do that one first in order to build the Metal one.

Awesome :-)
I didn't do anything major, they just needed a first year student who was good at CAD to make models which would be difficult to print and I had to print two copies, one was the actual printed model and the second was after I had manually cleaned it up.

I was only able to help because the reprap project was founded by my engineering department, I have seen a metal printing prototype but I don't think its going to be as useful as the plastics in its current form. The metal printer is basically a soldering iron but smaller, you could use it to create pcbs for small circuits. For full scale metal printing you will probably need some powder based technique.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

I agree I am not expecting to much to begin with. But if I can find a way to further enhance the technology that would be kind of cool. I have to see if the people I know would be interested in doing this :-)

reparto_temp
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by reparto_temp »

I agree we need more people working on this stuff. Last year I had to write feasibility reports on metal printing and I just basically said that it was possible to make it cheap for mainstream distribution if we can isolate the heat of the printer head because it ends up warping plastic if the 3d design makes the printer head stay in one place for too long.

Fortunately, this year's feasibility report is going to be on either Transformers, Power Rangers or Gundam :D

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

Post by maboroshi »

reparto_temp wrote:I agree we need more people working on this stuff. Last year I had to write feasibility reports on metal printing and I just basically said that it was possible to make it cheap for mainstream distribution if we can isolate the heat of the printer head because it ends up warping plastic if the 3d design makes the printer head stay in one place for too long.

Fortunately, this year's feasibility report is going to be on either Transformers, Power Rangers or Gundam :D
Interesting, glad you pointed that out. Would you be interested in sharing your write up. Might give me some things to look into.

*cheers!

reparto_temp
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by reparto_temp »

If I can find it I'll send it to you, otherwise I will try and find my first year notes on 3d printing. There was a lot of general information on how 3d printing works and how the technology has been developed, from what I remember, there isn't much space for a "breakthrough", its just a matter of waiting for stuff to be available enough so we can use it.