I picked up some new hardware

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: I picked up some new hardware

Post by DNR »

#-o Destroyed another laptop with the "3 finger death touch" Its true - the machine teaches us to think faster, and as we progress - we need faster computers or we get frustrated. Bloat does not help either.

I am on a Dell Laptop with a HP HDD from another.

I am certainly considering the desktop again - easier to fix, harder to destroy.

I am considering the android tablets to learn android OS and programming. But I find its slow compared to a laptop.

And you were right BB - I am bored with the camera already - after fixing it on my dog for a few 'doggie cam' videos (working on project of animal drones). I do plan on buying or building a drone to fix the camera onto as well. A drone with all the GPS, autofly, autoland, wifi HUD, dual blade quad rotor (dual blade offers redundant flight component and more weight/lift) - is about $1,599 USD.

The android tablet can help with piloting the drone.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: I picked up some new hardware

Post by bad_brain »

hehe, yeah, luckily I just borrowed the GoPro I did some biking clips with from a buddy...I had it for a few months, but after 1-2 weeks it got boring, mostly because the whole procedure to get it ready for a ride took too long, I am more the "hope on the bike and go" type. might be the same for you with going for a walk with the doggie....but hey, it can still be fun for special occasions, like when doing agility training for example...:)

go for a desktop system buddy, best with a nice mechanical Cherry keyboard you can punch without consequences... :lol:
I can only speak for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 I am using, but Android runs really fast on it without any remarkable lags... :-k
so imo the best for you would be a beefy desktop system and for mobility purposes a nice tablet.

============================

as a personal hardware update:
yesterday I got some additional RAM modules, simply because the empty slots looked pathetic....so now the system has 16 GB 1600Mhz Corsair XMS3 modules with 9-9-9-24 timings on 1.65V.

at the same time I got a new Noctua CPU cooler:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... =35&lng=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it's actually the same one I already had, just with a 140mm fan (instead of 120). I wanted to replace the whole cooler though, because I need a 2nd one anyway for the 2nd server system I want to build with spare parts, and when removing the cooler it AGAIN ripped the CPU out of the socket (happened with my last CPU too already)... ](*,)
I am not sure if it was because of the pretty old Noctua thermal grease (I had a little left from 3 years ago, and used it when I replaced the mainboard a little ago), or if it is an issue with the Noctua grease in general. anyway, I wasn't sure if the CPU will still work properly because a few pins were bent, so I got a AMD FX-8350 with 8 cores now.

after installing the new CPU booting the system failed in an odd way, it loaded all fine but when the desktop environment was there the system simply shut off after 2-30 seconds and rebooted...over and over and over again. I first thought some drivers might be messed up because of the new CPU, so I did a new Win7 install, which went fine..at least until the latest patches where the same behavior occured again (if you ever wanted to hear me swear like a drunken sailor at 3 am: that was the best opportunity!).
so yeah, drivers were not on the list anymore, and when thinking about the system changes if the last weeks (new mainboard, new g-card, new CPU, a bunch of power hungry USB devices like a Razer 7.1 headset) I thought it might be the PSU being too weak....so I replaced the g-card (R9 270) with my old HD4850 and voila: system ran stable.
this morning I went to the computer store and got a nice BeQuiet! PSU with 750W, modular cable management and Gold Plus certification....and yep: system runs perfectly fine again... \:D/