Hard drive failure rates by model

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
reparto
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Hard drive failure rates by model

Post by reparto »

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/wh ... uld-i-buy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have failure rates of hard drives and they specify the model of the hard drives. The data mainly covers hitachi, seagate and wdl. Note that the tests involved using consumer drives in what appears to be a server environment, I don't know much about blackblaze but first impressions suggest they were using non-server grade equipment in a server environment and then they tried to complain about it. But then they realised that consumer drives are dirt cheap.
Selling invisible pets:
Dogs - 0.5 Bitcoins
Cats - 0.7 Bitcoins
Unicorns - 10 Bitcoins
Chimpanzee - 2 Bitcoins

PM me if you are interested, will ship via priority airmail, will accept escrow services

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Re: Hard drive failure rates by model

Post by DNR »

well I think most computer components are the same - based on prices the quality of the device can be better - available to civilians and gov.
How you build your systems IMO is how you make those devices stronger or last as long as they are supposed to. Most devices that failed were abused or installed in a bad box/environment. I see all devices last by 'run time' or hours of operation - if the box is properly cooled, clean, and fed a clean power supply. Obviously a HDD on a rackmount for a large network database will have more read/write requests than your home HDD. There are quality devices with its price, that can handle those loads properly - people who chose the device based on low price make that mistake of not building the proper box.

If a computer is mission critical, you always have a duplicate on standby for those 'intermittent' product defects.

I am a big fan of pullout HDDs for cold/hot swaps

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.