camera for car

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

camera for car

Post by Kirk »

Ok guys, I need some help with this. I want to get this done in the next few weeks. What I want is a camera and mic setup for my car that uploads to my cloud at home or anywhere else really. I want two mini spy camera with one mic. I need some kind of dvr that I can turn the recording on and off and also be able to upload the recording in real time. Obviously this will take a cellular / data signal. I specifics on how to get this going. I have found several spy cameras that are perfect, even with a mini dvr but I don't know how to set up the upload for it.
Thanks guys

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: camera for car

Post by bad_brain »

well, the easiest would be to upload it through a (also hidden) cellphone....this would also open the opportunity to skip the external camera because the phone already has one, the question would just be how to hide it (shouldn't be that much of a problem because the lens hole needed is also very small).
on the phone you could run an IP-camera app, like this one:
http://androidcloudcam.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

depending on the phone (or maybe a tablet) it could also be possible to connect an external camera if needed.

another way would be to use a GoPro camera (any starting from Hero 3 has wifi/bluetooth), connect it to a hidden phone through the GoPro app, then run some kind of cronjob on the phone that copies the files over and uploads them (both is supported by the app).

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

no no. that is way to large. i mean a hidden spy camera in my car. a pin hole camera. im going to have two of them in there. one facing my drivers side door and then one facing the whole inside. something like this: http://spysource.net/TouchscreenHDdvrsystem.htm
except i need two cameras, with a dvr, and cellular upload ability.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...well, all you actually need either a cellphone that allows to connect an external camera via USB (might be easier to find something in the tablet computer segment), or a bluetooth camera (which any halfway decent cellphone should be able to utilize then).

the equipment you have linked surely does the recording part well, but I see no way to transfer the data from there to a cellphone (at least not without building a whole new API hardware- and software-wise).

would be interesting to know the dimensions of the device you have linked, especially the needed lens opening....actually I don't think it' really smaller than the one of a cellphone lens. because then you could save the whole hardware stuff and simply hide a cellphone...I mean, when I look at mine the lens is ~ 3mm and there are surely even smaller ones around.... :-k

Kirk
suck-o enforcer
suck-o enforcer

Post by Kirk »

a cell phone is too large. the area im putting the cameras is just big enough to hold one of those mini cameras. then i can run the cables from the camera to a larger area, like under my dash with all the rest of my electronics. i guess i just need to find an all in one that will work for what i need. im sure there is one out there.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, ok, as long as the camera has an USB output it shouldn't be that much of a problem. you might want to check out the Samsung S3/S4 ones, but you will most likely have to root them and make some adjustments to make it work.
better chances for out-of-the-box functionality you will have with tablets...in the worst case you will need both (a tablet for the connectivity, and a phone connected via bluetooth to it for the outgoing connection).

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Install the cameras and run the signals to a cheap computer like the Pi that has a wireless connection via sat or cell. there may be complete devices on the market that do this already.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

use the same stuff RC pilots and personal drone pilots use - hobbyking, GetFpv, readymadeRC - you get a 5.8ghz camera system for about $100, then you need a video reciever - maybe a black pearl monitor with DVR. thats about $300.
http://www.getfpv.com/fpv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can hard wire, maybe check out home/business construction supply - home security systems - take the camera out of the body, hardwire, 12AC to 12vDC adapt.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.