Preventing moisture in cabinets

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Preventing moisture in cabinets

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

Hey fellas,

Rains have started here, and every alternate year, my machine gives me hardware issues because of moisture problems. This year, I have decided to keep 2-3 silica desiccant bags inside my CPU cabinet. How good is this idea? Is the heat from my CPU or graphics card gonna affect it negatively?

Note*: I have spent around $1500 on my new machine, and I want to protect it at all costs. It has AMD 9870 processor, and a graphics card. I also have liquid cooler.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Preventing moisture in cabinets

Post by bad_brain »

well, in an environment with a high humidity it's the best to keep the system running permanently if possible....that way you avoid condensation.

to control the humidity is tricky, because you would either have to make the system air tight and then control/adjust the incoming air, or you have to control/adjust the humidity of the whole room....both not really cheap or practical.
those silica bags can only do very little, IF you want to try to go that way look for humidity adjustment bags they are using in humidors (you know, where they keep expensive cigars in). but those are also not cheap, so I actually recommend the good ol' housewife trick to remove humidity: a bowl of salt.
but again: this only really makes sense if the air flows in a sealed system, or a system which is air tight with only one channel for incoming air so you can let the air stream over/through the salt for example.

the best advice is imo still to keep the system running permanently if possible, with a really good airflow. if you can't do that you could maybe set up an externally controlled fan system that you can run (let's say 15 minutes) before you start the actual computer.

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

I can't keep my machine running all the time. It will shoot up my electricity bill. I have tied moisture absorbent just above my cabinet.

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.in/Absorbia-AB002-Hanging-Pouch/dp/B00MHO4FMG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434503493&sr=8-2&keywords=absorbia
And I have also put 2 silica bags inside my cabinet. I hope this will help.
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

that's understandable. but yeah, to save money you can place some bowls filled with salt instead... :)