Smartwatches give out static electric currents?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
z3r0aCc3Ss
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Smartwatches give out static electric currents?

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

I'm experiencing this weird phenomena since a year or so...
I bought Samsung Gear S3 last September. Since then, whenever I touch anything metal, especially steel/iron, I get minute electric currents, near my elbow, forearms, and fingertips.

For example, I was walking in the mall; it had metal (steel) railings. I touch them and I experience currents on my fingertips. It only happens once or twice out of 15-20 tries, but it does. One more example, when I wash my hands after eating lunch in office, the taps are of steel (metal), I get small shocks as well when I turn on the tap. And before getting one, especially before washing my hands, I could sense that I'm gonna experience electric shock. And the intensity of this shock is much bigger than walking in the mall touching the metal railing. One could distinctly hear the noise.

When I walk with my friends and when accidentally arms touch each other, we both get small currents. This happens particularly in the vicinity of a metal. Walking on the road or in the jungle doesn't give me any such thing (maybe I'm grounded enough?).

Does this have to do anything with my psyche or is it because of smartwatch? It never happened to me before wearing one. This happened with me when I was in Croatia, India, and Poland. So, it is not related to any country or any specific setup.
If it is solely because of smartwatch, then why do I get that intuitive feeling before getting one?

Have you heard/experienced any such incident before? I ignored it initially, but now, it's scaring the sh*t out of me as it has started happening quite frequently, almost twice in 2-3 days.

I Googled about it and found something called as "triboelectric effect".

Now when such thing happens, I feel like Raiden or Storm. 8) 8) 8)
Beta tester for major RATs, all kinds of stealers and keyloggers.
Learning NMAP

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: Smartwatches give out static electric currents?

Post by bad_brain »

I doubt it's the watch, because the battery in it most likely is a 1.5V one with maybe 500mAh. electrostatic fields have multiple thousands of Volts with a very low current of course (else it would kill you ..lol), but the capacity of such a tiny battery simply is not enough.....maybe one tiny tiny shock, then the battery would be 100% empty.

so if you don't experience sudden battery drain it must be something else. usually your body is charged between shoes (best rubber sole) and carpet (best synthetic fiber), and it works best when the air is really dry like in the winter time when heatings run.

[youtube][/youtube]

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

True that... =D>
Why this came to my mind because this had never happened before, and started only when I started using a smartwatch. Maybe, just a weird coincidence...
Thanks for the clarity 8)
Learning NMAP

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

it is also more likely to happen in winter btw, because of the dry air from heating...electrostatic fields build easier then. that's also why you often experience it in shopping malls, dry air from the air condition. :D

z3r0aCc3Ss

Post by z3r0aCc3Ss »

What you're saying is correct... but now, winter is over here. I still get such static shocks, especially if I'm touching metal with fingertips. Temperature here is 28/29C and about to rise to 35C with almost 70-90% humidity in air.
Learning NMAP