Project: Network Rebuild

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Re: Project: Network Rebuild

Post by Stavros »

Ok I've a bit of an update. Last year my wife and I moved houses. I ended up setting everything back up and I'll make a post and post some pictures about that. Suffice to say we moved to a much nicer neighborhood. A gated neighborhood with tennis courts and a swimming pool. If I were to move anywhere else and stay in Mississippi it would be a downgrade. Suffice to say if we move it will be to another state.

I'll PM you the house we bought B_B once you see this post. I'm not too keen on putting it out there even though a handful of people at most will see this.

Anyway not much changed. I upgraded from running Cat5e to Cat6A in the walls. I put in a 4 wire jack in the home office and that's about the extent of my wire runs so far. The house is still a bit of a warehouse.

I do have other projects I want to do:
  • Rebuild desktop
  • Fitness app using Flutter
  • Build a server with a 32 core Epyc CPU
  • Build OPNSense router
Already started the Fitness app, but I'm running out of HDD space and running too many things at once bogs my computer down. The Android emulator is a resource hog. Also I'm not buying another HDD/SSD until I rebuild my desktop.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

can't wait to see the pics! :D

funny you mention OPNSense, since I have replaced all my dedicated servers with cloud ones I have a much better opportunity for real networking and I was thinking about setting up a dedicated firewall instance which runs in front of all the cloud servers. haven't dediced yet between OPNSense and pfsense (might even give Untangle a try)... :-k

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

I would have updated sooner, but this past weekend I was struck with such bad sinusitis I threw up 3 times just trying to cough up phlegm. None of the home remedy shit worked for me so I decided to go to the doctor. Now I'm feeling much better.

Anyway, have I changed. Well to start with I ended up putting in a 4 jack plate into my office wall.

And I added a 24 port patch panel to my rack.

So then I ran one AP to the hall outside the master bedroom and office which is across the hall from the bedroom.

And one to the North side of the living room (house faces West) by the Kitchen so the house has a pretty good saturation.

Oh and one last thing I need to buy for my network stack is a UPS. Had a bad storm roll through and had a brown out and it fucked my installation of pfSense. Had to reinstall.

That board on the mantle was our wedding "guest book".

As far as OPNSense I'm not sure I'm going to do it, but if I did I'm definitely going to do it different and not go quite so overboard. There's no real need for a Xeon 4core for a pfsense box. I'll probably go for a mobile 4core processor.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Stavros wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 14:44
I would have updated sooner, but this past weekend I was struck with such bad sinusitis
welcome to the club, I have one simmering since a few weeks, I always get it at this time of the year when my immune system has to work quite hard because of the sudden temperature changes where I am always dressed wrong on the first really long bicycle rides so I either sweat reaööy bad or start to freeze. anyway, it's not that bad and I can keep it in the background with some saline solution rinsing.

a sexy rack you have over there... 8) :lol:

and you're right, a Xeon 4core would be a serious overkill, the CPUs will have so little to do that you should focus on low power consumption because there is zero benefit in the faster processing times.
I run a full blown home server with apache2, mysql, ftp, ssh and borgbackup on 2 cores and a microATX board, even that's already more than enough:

good job on the APs, they blend in well! =D>

Stavros wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 14:44
I need to buy for my network stack is a UPS. Had a bad storm roll through and had a brown out
eww. never experienced a brown out here, but what we have are nasty voltage peaks during thunderstorms sometimes which can fry older electric devices of any kind because in 2009 they increased the max. allowed Voltage in the power lines from 230V to 253V.