Better or Worse

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
ilkjester
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Better or Worse

Post by ilkjester »

OK well I had an hp pavilion 525x and it had a ASUS P4G533 mother board and an intel celeron 2.4ghz processer. My uncle gave me his old case and motherboard so now i have a amd sempron 2400+ 1.66 ghz and a asus VA-10 (VIA KM400-VT8235) 1.x motherboard is this better or worse he said he would be faster but the ghz is alot lower hes gonna give me an nvidia geforce 5500 128mb video card to which is really old but its better then my intergrated video card before.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

What kind of case is it?

Airflow is key to having longer PC life.

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

Not sure what kind of case It is . For the air flow thing it has 2-3 fans my old computer had 1. Im not sure if he put that other fan in there thats why i say 2-3 but one fan blows air into it and the other fan is blowing air out of it is this a good setup to keep it cool.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

tips on computer lab

Post by DNR »

you can keep the systems separate, you can now build the bigining of your own computer lab. You can either make the HP a router or just another console and get a router. Having two consoles you can practise RAT, sniffing and breaking systems on each other.

A better, faster video card can be a big bonus, even over processor speed. 128mb of video ram can take the loads off the processor, and make it seem faster.

several builders tips
1. leave the computer plugged in, turned off while you have the box open. Serious, when the computer is plugged into the wall, it has a ground connection. The ground connection will help release ESD (electro-static Discharges) The only danger of electrocution is if you mess with the power supply box (which is remove and replace only, then it should be unplugged from the wall). Having your body in contact with the case while handling the inside is your conduit to ground. The table can be metal, and attached to the ground wire at the house circuit, giving you another ground base. Keep plastics and carpeting away from this area. Remember a ESD can easily hit 3,000 volts, you can feel a 3,000 volt shock when you walk on carpet then touch a person, but ESD can kill a computer device with as little as 300 volts. Many intermittent problems with cards can be attributed to mishandling - ESD.

2. keep the box clean, blow it out with canned compressed air. Tie your wires down so they don't create dead air zones. Don't keep the box in a dead air space either, on the carpeted floor, backed into a wall, the box doesn't have fresh air to circulate, and carpet fiber/dust bunnies will get sucked in.

3. Treat your computer lab like a lab. Have adequate table space, lighting, and keep it clean. It is holy ground :wink:

4. Get an UPS, rather than a surge protector. Surge protectors can easily fail, and they get old and fail anyways. A Uninterruptable Power Supply not only gives you a little bit of back-up power when the power fails, but it also feeds your box clean,filtered power, at the correct amps and volts, all the time - regardless of what is happening at the building power supply.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

d10b

Re: Better or Worse

Post by d10b »

Just by processor speed I would think the 2.4ghz is faster than the 1.66ghz. I don't think there could be enough differences with those to boards to make much difference. But I didn't bother to look up the two boards. :) Time to start looking up the specs of each one. Check FSB, HD controllers, etc. How much RAM is on each board?

I have a GeForceFX 5200 and it still works great. If you have integrated video you're going to be really happy with the new video card.
``The true voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes``

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

AMD is using different algorithms than Intel, so you can't compare it, both processors should have about the same performance (usually AMD ones are even better in graphic benchmarks). I use still my good old AMD XP2500+ (Barton) which is still good enough for the newest games. I bought a new graphics card a while ago, but my old Sapphire 9200 was even good enough to play FarCry (not in the highest settings of course)...and the FX5200 is even better...all you need is a little RAM for good performance, 512MB at least (best 1GB)... :wink:

ilkjester

Post by ilkjester »

*edited*