Real cheap but VERY GOOD way to protect hardware

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Real cheap but VERY GOOD way to protect hardware

Post by bad_brain »

Hey... :wink:
Well, I was looking at some old circuit diagrams I´ve made (I was heavy into HiFi/HighEnd before I started with computers again), and there is a real nice way to protect your hardware from voltage peaks like from strokes of lightnings: Simply use a varistor and place it between the 2 poles of the power plug! A varistor costs just a couple of cents and protects your hardware FAR better than any normal fuse can do, simply by the fact that varistors react MUCH faster than a normal fuse. Which varistor to use depends on the voltage of your country, in germany it´s 240 volts, so I use a 250 volt varistor. What a varistor does? Pretty simple: It´s like a switch which reacts at a specified voltage, so a 250V varistor opens at 250 volts and so causes a short-circuit between the 2 poles of the power-plug, and this is done so fast that no voltage peaks will reach the hardware. Another big plus is that varistors have "self-healing"-abilities, this means that they still work after they reacted, but for safety reasons it´s better to replace them to make sure they work properly the next time.... :wink:

masterdriverz
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by masterdriverz »

Would you notice if there was a power surge?
And if you were'nt present at the time of the surge, would you be able to tell?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

If the power surge would force the varistor the react it would cause a shortcircuit. So the system would have no power anymore until the varistor cooled down again. So it depends on your system settings if you would be able to notice it when you are not around, for my configuration for example you have to use the power switch on the box to start the system (so when the system was turned off by the varistor it stays off until I hit the switch again), but other people I know don´t use the switch, so the system starts when the PSU is switched on (in this case the system would start again when the varistor is ready to work again).