Digital Cameras

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Chaos1986
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Digital Cameras

Post by Chaos1986 »

I'm Looking To Buy A Digital Camera And Could Use Some Advice And Information. My First Question Is What Brands Should I Keep My Eyes Open For? My second Question Is What Brands Should I Avoid? And Third I Want To Spent A Max Of $140.00. My Laptop's 3 In 1 Media Card Reader Can Read SD/SDIO?MMC So The Camera Needs To Be Able To Use That Kind Of Media. :twisted: :evil:
Last edited by Chaos1986 on 29 Dec 2006, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I got a Cannon cam for xmas it is nice but might be more than you want to spend. I recommend not getting digital zoom it is horrible so go for optical zoom if you have to choose. HP makes a good digital camera but battery’s are like cigarettes and chain smoking. You are gonna need a lot of them. I like rechargeable ones and my cannon can shoot for ½ a day before I need to change the suckers.

As far as a card reader I just plug the Cam into my USB slot ignoring all driver related issues. I never installed a driver for any cam I have ever used, I go to my computer and open the cam clicking and dragging the photos to my desktop. Just like a flash drive or hot swappable device. Most digital cams come with a USB port and cable I use them for this purpose. You can also format, check total space used and what’s left for more pictures. I am running windows however so if Linux is an issue then ignore this paragraph.

I hope I have helped you. One last note a 2-3 mega pixel is going to be enough because I believe software compresses the pics to a lesser quality so a 10 mega pixel might be over kill – a selling tact.

PEACE
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

What Is The Minimal Optical Zoom I Should Use Would 3x Do Me Good Or Should I Use 4x? The Camera Will Be Used For Family Photos, Taking Photos When I'm On Vacation, Pictures Of Fishing Trophies And Pictures Of The Deer,Bear,Foxes, Wild Turkey And All Sorts Of Birds Like The Pileated Woodpecker. :twisted: :evil:
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

I Decided To Buy The Canon A540. I Then Looked Around For The Lowest Price And Ended Up Buying It A Circuit City. I Got Really Lucky There. The Camera Was On Sale. The Normal Asking Price Was $279.00 But It Was On Sale And I Saved A Bundle $110.00 To Be Precise! 8O So After The Tax It Was Only $183.00! 8O Then Next Thing I Plan On Buying Is A 1GB SD Memory Card For The Camera And Then Some Lenses. So My Next Mission Is To Learn More About Digital Cameras And The Media They Use. The Camera Also Has Some Really Cool Fetures Here Are Just A Few. 9-point Ai-AF,21 scene modes,High ISO sensitivity,DIGIC II Image Processor,iSAPS Technology. I Can Also Buy The Following Conversion Lens Adapter,Wide-Angle Lens,Telephoto Lens,Close-Up Lens And Yes An Underwater Case. WOOT! Not Bad For $183.00 Huh? :twisted: :evil:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Same cam i got for x-mas. Awsome cam i am having fun with it and love the features.

:lol:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

knightm4r3
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by knightm4r3 »

As a photographer, there are really 3 companies that really stand out among the rest (at least cameras in the lower price ranges), they are Canon, Nikon, and the less popular Pentax, who in my mind has an edge over the other 2 but that is just 100% my personal preference.

You may be able to find a Nikon 4800 for 140, I got one for my nephew for 150 offline but I can't remember where. It has an 8X optical zoom and 4 mage pixels. Canons and pentax cameras run a bit more, but Im sure you can find some from 150.

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

knightm4r3 I Have A Few Questions For You. My First Question Is What Is A Telephoto lens? My Second Question Is What Is What Is A Wide-angle lens? My Third Question Is What Is A Close-up lens? My Fourth Quest Is About The ISO sensitivities. Please Keep In Mind I'm New To This Thank You. :twisted: :evil:

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

Hey Guys Are These Good Prices?
For $75.00 I Can Buy A Wide-angle lens Which rings the wide end of the lens down by 0.7X to 24.5 mm; requires conversion lens adapter
For $90.00 I Can Buy A Telephoto lens Which Boosts focal range by 1.75X to 245 mm; requires conversion len adapter
For $72.00 I Can Buy A Close-up lens Which Reduces the minimum focus distance to 4 cm at wide-angle and 14 cm at telephoto; requires conversion lens adapter
For $18.00 I Can Buy A Conversion lens adapter Which Is Required for conversion lenses; threaded for 52 mm accessories as well
For $100.00 I Can Buy An External slave flash Which Boosts flash range and reduces redeye; since it's a slave flash, the DC1 fires when the onboard flash does
For $175.00 I Can Buy An Underwater case Which Allows me to take my A540 up to 40 meters underwater
For $40.00 I Can Buy An AC adapter Which Allows me to power the camera without wasting my batteries
For $58.00 I Can Buy A Rechargeable battery kit Which Includes four 2500 mAh batteries and a charger :twisted: :evil:

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

Another Question When they Say Telephoto lens Which Boosts focal range by 1.75X to 245 mm How Much Optical Zoom Is 245mm Equal To? :twisted: :evil:

knightm4r3
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by knightm4r3 »

wow okay, lets start by answering the questions ..

A telephoto lens is going to give you kick ass zoom but sometimes at a loss of quality. It is meant to take ictures of things across a field or lake or something like that. Not for close ups. You really have to know how to use one inorder for things to some out sharp.

A wide angle lens do just what they sound like and give you a wider viewin area. Sometimes though you will get a "fisheye" effect if you use an extra wide. They dont really allow you to zoom too awful much, but if you using a wide angle you are abviously not trying to take a picture of a tiny area.

A Close up lens also called a macro lens lets you get very close to the object your capturing and gives GREAT detail. You can not use a macro from a distance of about a few feet, or your image may become distorted.

The ISO sensitivity is usually about 100 on most camers (as a defualt, most if not all now days can be changed). The lower the sensitivity, the finer the grain, but more light is needed.

Yea all of thoes prices are reasonable, expect to pay at least 100$ for a lens in a store, so online prices will be lower. My only warning is becareful with what lenses fit your camera, you will be out alot of money and time if you get the wrong lens, and prople dont usually like doing returns because it didn't fit.

As far as an underwater case goes, Id be careful, I've never actually used a camera underwater that wasn't meant to beused underwater. Ive seen too many issues with the cases, most work but some dont and there goes you camera if it doesnt.

If your looking to spend 150 on a camera, you probably aren't going to be able to get one where you can change the lens. The cameras you buy lenses for are usually SLRs and start at about 600 (for digital SLRs) (you can find 35 mm film SLRs on ebay for about 75-100).

As for your question about 245mm check out this wiki I just found, *slaps himself for not finding it earlier when trying to answer questions* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephoto_lens there is a diagram that shows a little magnification chart thing. Your standard SLR lens is a 25-80 (or similar, some are propritary and go from 23-79 or something like that).

Good luck to you and feel free to ask any more questions.

KM43

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

knightm4r3 Will This Telephoto Lens Work With My Digital Camera? http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/prod ... ductID=868
Or This One? http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/prod ... uctid=1074 :twisted: :evil:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Nice read knightm4r3 i followed it with no questions after reading it. I like the prices on the cam parts that we share Chaos1986. Man i took some nice photos this weekend, wonder if we should have a post to sow off our photo skills. :?

PEACE
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

Hey floodhound2 Sounds Like A Great Idea :D I Was Planning On Making An Online Page For My Shots. Do You Photograph Wildlife If You Do I'd Love To See Some Of Your Shots. :twisted: :evil:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yeah I like to shoot anything and I got a 1gig memory card to fill just for this. I mostly do urban pictures but love to do wildlife also. I took one the other day when we had a fog storm. It was like living in a different world. I would like to see your photos also. I will start putting up some on my site I think.

PEACE :wink:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

knightm4r3
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by knightm4r3 »

Thanks floodhound!

Chaos, I'm not sure what camera you have, so I don't know if theyll work!

Just post up what the model is and I can try to help ya out!