screaming power supply?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

screaming power supply?

Post by visser »

so heres my problem. i have a motherboard no idea the name. and cant find it on the board itself. as far as a processor goes its and amd anthlon 700 mhz. for me thats a lot. lol. trying to hook it up. but yet for some reaon it just doesnt work.
i plug the power supply in and get everything up and running turn it on.. piece of junk doesnt turn on. rather than turn on hte power supply puts out this crazy high pitched noise. really loud and drives the dog crazy!!! i have no idea what the heck is going on. but a 700 mhz is worth trying to get to work. (for me atleast :roll: )

some help would be very apreciated please!!!!!!!!!!

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

well you can try getting a new psu, if your mother board isnt recieving any power than it is likely the psu is bad, especially since its screaming...make sure the mother board is complete as in you have all the button wiring correct, and the right memory chips placed in...also make sure your hardware is securely mounted...

hope it works for ya mate

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Best thing I can tell you to do is to take out all the parts on the mother board except ram and processor and see if you get a single beep post. If you get a good post then start adding parts to the main board.

Realistically if the power supply is screaming a high pitched noise then it might be ready to blow a capacitor, due to it being shorted somewhere on the main board or inside the power supply.

You really need to get a new power supply or at the least a volt meter to check some voltages.

a great way to fix some thing is to "replace good with bad"
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

visser

Post by visser »

its a brand new motherboard though. and i know the power supplies im using are good

r00t321

Post by r00t321 »

I have the same problem, something beeps from inside my case. Well i don't know if that's the power suplly, hdd, or the cpu but it's driving me mad! when i run programs which require more RAM or games like that it starts beeping for a while and then it shuts down. i've opened the case but i don'y find anything unusual.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

A beep usually indicates a good post, more beeping indicates a post problem.

Some Possibility include; incorrect/ defective ram, CPU fan not running at correct speed, NIC cards defective and other things that are incorrectly installed.

Overheating can be an issue that might be worth looking into.

I try to isolate the problem by removing all the parts except the CPU and ram. If I still get beeping then the problem is usually the ram.

Good luck
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

r00t321

Post by r00t321 »

none of this actually. i looked at all theese possible problems but none was the "right" one. even though i cleaned the thick dust on the coolers, it still kept beeping!. the problem was with the directx, actually, the 3d. file was deleted and that's why it was shuting down when i tried to play any game. i reinstalled the drive for the video board and now it works fine :D