harddrive question

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
kings2006
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

harddrive question

Post by kings2006 »

I have a 250GB harddrive but windows only shows I have 200Gb. what can be wrong and what can i do?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I Think you can fix it with partitionmagic, don't remember the cause of it. But you can resize it.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Har ... agic.shtml
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

could be also a BIOS bug, a buddy had that on his system too once, after updating to the newest firmware it was fixed....google for your mainboard, maybe it's a known bug. else you should better to what Neo wrote first... :wink:

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

it could also only be 200GB :roll: mabey a manufacturer mistake, take it back and replace it, or sometimes ive noticed with new HDD's they are off a few MB's or GB's but 50GB is alot so its unlikely.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

It has something to do with the way GBs are added up.

My 250 GB HDD is actually 232 GBs although I wish the HDD manufactureres would be a bit more honest and label actual GB HHD storage capacity.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, you're right...."250 GB" are not always really 250 GB...it depends on how the manufacturer calculates: good manufacturers use 1024b=1kb, which is the proper method, but many use 1000b=1kb instead.
but this still wouldn't make 50 GB difference...so this can't be the reason... :wink:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I had this problem as well, and the cause of it is windows. I know this because i had windows on my computer, installed a 250 gb hard drive, and it only showed 190 gigs. I was wondering wtf happened, and decided to boot in linux to make sure that windows was right. Linux showed i had 232 gb (which my manufacturer for my hd does 1,000 = 1kb). So go ahead and (if you have a CD burner), download THIS ISO image, burn it to a CD, and boot it like an operating system. Then, partition your hard drive to have 2 175GB partitions. Either that, or switch to linux.

Well, good luck.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

oh i love windows..

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

psuedo_opcode
oh i love windows..
This is what never makes sense to me. Everyone else has problems with Windows. I've never had a problem with Windows. I dunno if I'm living in Bizarro World or something...

It has to be the manufacturer's fault. Has to be.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

Well, its not that that windows is a complete mess..
actually its used by 90% of the people thats why we have more problems in windows rather than linux

If n00bs start using linux they cant mess up anything(unlike windows) because simply they wont know how to.. linux can also be screwed easily if a n00b has root access, just like windows.

Windows has relatively more bugs is because that programmers know that their source would never be revealed, so no one is going improve that or fix the bugs except them unlike linux which is coded by the users. So maybe some lazy programmers think they can get away with poor coding practices.

Simply imagine, people are coding windows, and we need to implement a module...
let's say we need an algorithm to solve a problem, now we have more than one algorithm.
For example let's say one is solved by iteration and other by recursion.
Now for like 50 inputs 1st one is the best but it tends to fail at say a million inputs, at that point of time, second one works very well.. so he will simply take the first one as million inputs are unlikely.. or worse.. he wont even think of inputs and implement it the way he wants too..

Now we have lame user (like me) who loves screwing his system.. now i would do all kinds of weird stuff which may cause to overhelm the function(asymptotic growth of functions) and finally cause weird runtime errors, or in some cases the memory space may be exceeded causing segmentation violations.

In linux this problem can be patched as advanced users use linux and they may fix it themselves or ask for help at forums.
For windows you will tell microsoft only if you have original windows and i think only then they will send you the patches, (if they know where's the problem), but when i used windows(original, mind it) i was never given any patch for any report that i sent.
Probably they thought that it is caused due to lame user..

So thats a small example why linux has that edge over microsoft...apart from other obvious reasons.

Another big reason is that linux is mostly used by power users rather than total computer n00bs or people who are in non-computer fields.. like commerce people and all