Installing 2nd HDD SATA

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
vidoll
forum buddy
forum buddy

Installing 2nd HDD SATA

Post by vidoll »

Hi guys need help here. Currently i have to HDD IDE (40G) and SATA (120G). Recently I got myself another SATA (250G) HDD. My mobo have to channels for SATA HDD. Ive occupied the first with my current one.

Here's the problem. after connecting the new HDD with the power cable and the cable to the mobo. Im unable to detect it from boot mode and also from my computer.

Ive tried unplugging and replugging the cables a couple of times but nuthing seem to be able to get it detected.

I understand pretty well that IDE have jumpers set. but cant seem to find the jumper for SATA or isit meant to be able to auto detect it. So im open to any suggestions from you guys.

Thanks in adv.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

there is no jumper setting anymore for SATA drives, if you have 2 SATA channels one of them is for master and the other for slave.
tried to switch the channels already?
if this don't work look in BIOS if you can select a "primary controller" for SATA.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I agree with B_B. Also it is a long shot but you can see if the jumper pin on the back is set to the right speed. I think you can have i set to 1.8gb/s or 3gb/s. Mother board might not like the speed

good luck
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ