Which HDD Brand to Get?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.

What HDD brand would you suggest?

Maxtor
23%
Western Digital
69%
Samsung
No votes
Seagate
8%
Hitachi
No votes
Hewlett-Packard
No votes
Fujitsu
No votes
Excelstor
No votes

Total votes: 13

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Which HDD Brand to Get?

Post by Necrix »

It's the last piece of hardware I need(with the exception of a fan or two) to complete my media production PC.

I need a good, reliable harddrive. It'll have to be IDE.
My price range is..well..I'd prefer nothing over $65..but I suppose $70 if I find a really good deal.
The size I expect is 200gb+ for the budget.

But..really..this poll is about the brand. Which brand do you find to be the longest lasting, most reliable, highest quality(& affordable) HDD. All of the other details I'll decide on my own.

By the way I already have a list of sites I'll be using for pricing so thanks anyway on that. ^_^

Thanks all.

ETA: Also, if you don't mind, could you post why you voted for what you did(and what you voted for of course). It'll also help in my decision. Thanks again.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I voted for Western Digital....all my HDDs I bought are WD ones and I never had a problem. Maxtor is also ok, I have old Maxtor ones that are about 10 years old...and they still work.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

b_b wrote
Maxtor is also ok, I have old Maxtor ones that are about 10 years old...and they still work.
This is the reason i voted and use maxtor in most the pc's i build. I have a 10 gig hdd thats still working and if i need to find a smaller hdd for an older pc you can more or less guarantee that it will be the maxtor thats still working.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

i vote for WD since my biggest HDD is WD and it works like a charm. I also have a couple of Maxtor, and they as well work perfectly. I have only had a little problem with Maxtor in the past concerning two HDD's that crashed.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

AS I mentioned in IRC last night, I have 3x WD HDD and they all are working fine. I also suggestion this route - I know samsung also makes good drives too, though.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

WD again. I've had one Maxtor HDD have bad sectors (we bought it like 3 or 4 years ago and I had no computer experience so I didn't know how to utilize it). I have 1 160GB Maxtor in my computer right now that's going to be my server HDD. And I have 1 external 500GB WD and a 250GB WD HDD that's been in use for just over 2 years now.

I've never had a problem with WD so far. I've also heard Seagate is a good brand too.