HP 9800 stuck in spooling

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
bryanoens
forum buddy
forum buddy

HP 9800 stuck in spooling

Post by bryanoens »

I have an HP deskjet 9800 printer setup on a network with about 15 different workstations. I am using windows server 2003 and I have the HP EN1700 print server being used. The issue seems to be very odd. When a workstation wants to print, the document gets stuck spooling and sits in the queue. However, if I restart the spooler on the print server, it will work for the whole day. But I will have to restart the spooler the next day.

I tried looking at the settings for the printer but I cant find any timeout issues to mess with. I just dont understand why it would happen everyday and it will work for a period of time once I have restarted the spooler

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Bryan

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I know HP has a good customer service by phone. It will be really easy and they will tell you a step by step way to solve your problem.

You can also try to chat online with their representant on their website.

US:

Code: Select all

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

bryanoens
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by bryanoens »

Thx for your response Nerdz. I usually like to fix it without sitting on the phone with tech support. Usually cant understand them. But I will try that if nothing else comes up

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Post by DNR »

Bryan, hey buddy welcome to the forum, I didn't recall seeing your previous posts.

Anyways, yea I agree, sitting on the phone with tech support sucks! Especially when its going to be out-sourced to some indian call-center.
Its painful to listen to their heavy accents and realize that cheap labor like them overseas is why many IT people are out of work in the usa.
Many IT noobs got their start by working the helpdesk.

Anyways, Hmm interesting that you need to restart the print server everyday. When exactly is it a day? usually apps and OS is not timing itself when daylight hits, so something else must be tripping that process that makes you have to restart the print server.

Lets just go over the basics.

1. "did it work before?" theory = what have you done differently since? Have you installed a new app? Change ISP? Installed a router, wifi? Got an app deleting files and logs at night?

2. You said that you had to restart the printserver - why?
Did the workstations spool - waiting for the window server? Or did the windows server wait for the printer?
I assume its like this
Workstation>server>printer
right?

Let me know, here all day

:wink:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bryanoens
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by bryanoens »

Well an update on the printer issue,

Started over from scratch, removed all the drivers and printer from local computers. I basically manually set up the print server to send to local PC's IP addresses and it has not had a problem in the past 3 days. S

Sometimes wizards and HP tools are worse than doing it the old fashion way

thanks for your repsonses

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Why did it happen?

Post by DNR »

bryan,
Good to hear from ya, I thought you dropped off like a timed-out packet. :lol:

Sometimes its not worth trying to figure out the "Why" in the world's problems. The re-do was a logical step, and not using the wizard just proves you know what you are talking about :wink:

I hope you find another topic to discuss soon.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.