Dear floodhound2, advice please.

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dear floodhound2, advice please.

Post by Stavros »

Ok, so my old computer got converted into a Debian server. I just fired it up after it sitting in my corner for the past ~4 1/2 months. I'm starting over with a clean slate. I'm not too sure what I can use it for, so since floodhound2, you seem to know hardware limits more than I do, what can I use my server for. Here is a list of hardware that this server has (keep in mind this used to be a gaming machine):

-600 (700?) Watt PSU
-2GB DDR RAM
-AMD 146 Opteron 2.0GHz (2MB Cache)
-160 GB 7200RPM Maxtor HDD
-1 Sony DVD-R/RW Burner
And not that it will be useful, but that's what I'm using for video:
-nVidia 7800GT (256MB VRAM)

Ok, for network speed I'm getting about 3.5-4.0mb/s down and about 1.5mb/s up.

What can I use this server for? Right now all I have planned to use it as a mail server. I don't want to host games on it or anything high-bandwidth, but I would like it to be useful.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well fist off I am not the paramount electronics guy around here, we all seem to have a area of specialty, however I have some suggestions that can buzz in your ear for a bit.

You could drive it as a web server that provides local data. For example: inputting some real time, real word devices into that server; then in turn supplying it on a web site that is hosted on the server. You’ll have to obtain a static ip-address and figure out a way to interface the real world device into that computes port/s. Some real world device would be a temperature sensor, camera, microphone, or any other plethora of imputing devices. This would, if done correctly, provide data to local residents that would ideally begin to generate visits to the server. I can invasion a long range camera that a user can move and focus. Information is what people want these days so give it to them in a unique fashion.

P.S. I would love to purchase a computer like this to do some of the things that i mentioned. Just use your imagination and ask for help if you need it.
:wink:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

ideas

Post by DNR »

Hey stav
maybe we can help if you describe what other devices you have in your network. I assume you are making this a server because you have other computers, maybe laptops, that are cabled or wifi networked.

You can make a media center and connect it to your TV and stereo. There have been several talks in the forums about one, and I plan on setting up one myself - my brother in-law has a nice system, cabled. I plan on using wifi. Wifi speakers, AP for the laptop, the printer is a stand-alone wifi peer. Then I can add in cameras - for security and maybe novelty if I let you guys see my cameras. There was also talk about a wifi-radio-controlled vehicle with a camera. I might let one roam around my backyard under control of internet users, again - server controlled.

Lots of ideas, lets see who can build something this summer :wink:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

One thing: If you put your server in your own LAN, and expose it to the outside world, when your server is compromised, the rest of your LAN may follow.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

G-Brain wrote:One thing: If you put your server in your own LAN, and expose it to the outside world, when your server is compromised, the rest of your LAN may follow.
Security is some thing to think about as well. Maybe he can put it on the DMZ!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Ok, I don't have much on my network. I've got my current rig and server sitting by each other. My brothers laptop (wifi), and dad's desktop (also wifi). So at almost any given time there's normally two computers on. There's also a work laptop that hardly ever gets used, so that one I don't consider. It is normally off and just taking up space. I have no webcams, but I don't think that would matter since really nothing to view since I don't live in a densely populated area.

I really wanted to make a media center, but right now I don't have a TV tuner and I'm short on cash.

Ok, so the only two computers that are actually wired into the router are the debian server and my computer. All other computers utilize wifi to connect to the web.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if you would rent a server with the same specs you would have to pay about 70-90 euro/month (pro servers of that class usually have a 2x 160GB RAID, but that's the only difference). so the system performance would be good enough for any kind of server...from web- to gaming-servers.
if you have a static IP you could even get into hosting (ok, for really high-frequented sites with loads of downloads the connection bandwidth would be too limited of course, but for sites of friend&family: no problem), for a mail-only server the hardware would be an overkill imo....even a Pentium2 box would be enough for a mail server.

so my recommendation would be to run at least Apache2 too. and if you plan to use the system to gain experience instead of doing business I would also recommend to install Debian Lenny (assuming you use Etch) because of the more up to date packages that will give you more possibilities....Lenny is very stable already.

best grab a cup of tea and go there: http://www.us.debian.org/distrib/packages#view
check the list for the release you want to use (Etch or Lenny) and have fun browsing the "network" list...you will find loads of server packages there...

:wink: