How can i completely erase a HD

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Xonet

How can i completely erase a HD

Post by Xonet »

Well, I took all old and unused pc parts from my attic and I'm about to sell them on ebay, i just need 100€ so i can buy a mb+cpu, combined with some of the parts i have here i can then finally set up my own server 8)

One of the parts, the one that I'll probobly sell the easiest, is a 80gb hd, wich first belonged to me, then passed on to my little brother, so it might contain some recoverable private data.
So my question is, how can i completely erase the data so that it can't be recovered at all. The easiest would ofcourse be the good ol' sledgehammer, but if possible I'd rather sell it.

Thanks ;)
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

get the Ultimate Bootdisk from our downloads, some tools on there to wipe HDDs so it's impossible to recover any data...but bring some time, it takes hours....;)

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

Thanks, I didn't even think as far as the download section :)
Good luck silence was high priority when i built my pc, I can do it overnight ;)
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

There is also another piece of free software out there that you can use which is called kill disk and is available at

http://www.killdisk.com/

This has been a great bit of software for me over the years :wink:

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

Fill the whole disk with 0... :roll:
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

that's what those apps do, repeatedly...;)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

kremlin wipe

Post by DNR »

I like kremlin wipe, you can select how many times you want the HD rewritten with 1 and 0's.
Good thinking about wiping rather than reformat. I can't tell you how many HD I have recovered from the trash (people also think that if you toss the computer out in the rain, it will destroy it too, the HD is always the driest thing in the box!)

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, on the Ultimate Bootdisk there are tools that even use encryption when overwriting everything multiple times with random numbers....but I skipped that one once because it said "36 hours left" for a 80GB IDE HDD using the highest security settings.. :lol: :lol:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

don't forget the RAM chips too

Post by DNR »

Recover data from RAM after a crash
After Princeton's cold-boot encryption key recovery hack, I got to thinking about what other useful things might be lying around in memory. It's old news that passwords of logged-in users are hanging out in there, but what about something more useful to the everyday user? What about that file you were editing before accidentally closing its window without saving?

In Linux and on PPC Macs, the root user can access the machine's ram through the /dev/mem device. I'm not sure why this is unavailable on newer Intel Macs—it's a bummer.

In theory, if you're processing some words, spreading sheets, or posting a blog entry and your program crashes, it's likely that the data you were editing will still be in RAM, unharmed, waiting to be allocated to another process. If you immediately dump the entire contents of RAM to disk before starting another large process, chances are good you can find your data again. It's tricky though—writing that RAM to disk requires you start up at least one process, such as dd. It's possible that this new process, or a another process that's currently running, could allocate memory and obliterate your file. You don't really have other options, though, so you might try something like this:

dd if=/dev/mem of=/tmp/ramdump
strings /tmp/ramdump | grep "some text in your file"
I found a post by David Keech where he describes exactly this process. He was able to use it to successfully recover the text from a killed vi session:

I tested this by starting vi and typing in "thisisanabsolutelyuniqueteststring", killing the vi process without saving the file and running the command above immediately with a small modification. Instead of piping the output to a file, I piped it to grep thisisanabsolutelyuniquetest. The grep command found itself, as it always does, but it also found the original string, identified by the rest of the unique string that I didn't include in the grep command. You have to be careful when search through running memory. I now remember having this problem with the Mac all those years ago. Whenever I searched for parts of my brother's letter, I would just end up finding the part of memory that contained the search string.
He also mentions scanning the swap partition, which is also a likely place for your data to be found. It's the same process, but you replace /dev/mem with /dev/hda2 or whatever your swap partition is.

Here's the fun part. Based on what we now know about DRAM holding data even a few seconds of being unpowered, you might even be able to use the method to recover program data after a full system crash and reboot. The swap data will for sure be there, but if you reboot into single user mode without starting up X or any large applications, the possibility exists that unallocated areas of /dev/mem will still contain data from before the reboot.

http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archive/2 ... ter_a.html

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.