Electric "jumps" in phone cable?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Electric "jumps" in phone cable?

Post by ayu »

My neighbour got broadband a few years ago, and since that day their connection has dropped for like 1 ms and then coming back, once every 28 minutes (they took the time).

They called the ISP several times and got the same answer "well it says on my screen that you are connected" (idiots)

And they told me that they noticed "clicks" in the phone sometimes while talking at the same time as the connection drops.

And i thought of this to prove to their ISP that they are having problems so that they will fix it. And my idea is that I could use a multimeter or something to actually see if there is a electricity jump or something, so that i can prove it and get them to analyze it more.

Does anyone have any experience in this, because i need some tips =) (only had one year of electrician in school...wasn't my strongest subjects ^^)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Well this is a technology that is easily understood and thus i ask you to look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Subscriber_Line

The problem is paranoia as i see it. 1ms is never going to be noticed and how the hell did he time 1ms. Perhaps I misunderstood your question, but 1 mila second is not going to be noticed.

As far as clicks and other issues i would look around the house and check if the twisted pair is up to date. Old houses in my area have the rattiest wire, some with no insulation. This can create [near end cross talk, attenuation, as well other impurities and or distortion]. Mostly due to the cables not terminated correctly AC line in parallel with phone etc.

When you read more on the link i provided it may mention the protocol that sends the data. Well if you have noise or impurities in the transmission link layer then the protocol will have to resend packet or other ways that typically keep a network SLOW.

Using a Volt meter will not help much because it is probably an AC signal, if I were to guess.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

They measured how long it was between the line drops, is what i believe he was saying.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I said 1 ms just to indicate that it was fast ^^ i don't know how long the drop is, but enough to disconnect and reconnect them for a couple of seconds.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"