CPU shut off randomly.

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Losing_grip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

CPU shut off randomly.

Post by Losing_grip »

Well lately, my cpu is shutting off randomly. The red beeping light (the one that blink when computer runs etc) would go off instantly , but the blue one ( the one that would determine if your cpu is turned on) is still on. so i just always go press the reset bottom.

so im not sure if it's some power failure or its just my pc.

planning to run it over into mechanics.

hope to get some tips. thanks guys.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

break it down

Post by DNR »

The red beeping light (the one that blink when computer runs etc) would go off instantly , but the blue one ( the one that would determine if your cpu is turned on) is still on. so i just always go press the reset bottom.
Using this nfo, I can suggest this:

The red light is your HD busy light, it blinks when the HD is being accessed. Just because the light is off, it just means that the HD is not in use at the moment.
The blue light is the power light, it lets you know the PSU is working - at least feeding power to the light anyway.

You say the CPU stops and you have to hit the reset button - what else is happening? is the screen locked up or do you have a blue screen or black one?

Wait til you get some replies here before going to the mech - it might save you some money and some bullshit mech scams. :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I suggest opening up the tower and removing the heat sink fan and remove the processor carefully and give a gentle clean. Use some more heat compound or tape before reinstating the processor and heat sink fan. There will be plenty of video tuts out there if you are unsure on how to do this, but its really a basic task everyone should do from year to year in my opinion though its not essential.

Also make sure there is enough ventilation and fans connected to keep the unit temperature stable

Hope this helps :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

hold your CPU there one moment

Post by DNR »

whoa! hey C-thug, you got the right idea - it could be heat and the CPU is shutting down to cool off.
BUT 8O
I think the idea of going inside and handling the CPU is beyond his level, at least run through the easier stuff first. And this is not a rip on anyone, but a word of caution and respect/care for our young'uns :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

@DNR

The Monitor is just all blank, its like i shutdown the computer. No bsod or anything like cmd.

@Computathug

Hmmmm.. i think so, ya got a point there cuz my old video card used to have mini fan, but my new one doesn't have.
and everytime i reset the computer after the random off, 20 mins later my cpu will shut off again.

Imma do more test if its about about cooling off. thanks everyone

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

start up and press f8

then disable restart on system crash..

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

rhysh wrote:start up and press f8

then disable restart on system crash..

My computer doesn't restart automatically when the CPU shut off.

I manually press the reset bottom.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

overheating

Post by DNR »

Hey grip,

Well here is the serious issue : If you still have a power light on - ie the blue power light and the system is 'down' then you might have a serious mobo problem.
Do you have an app to monitor CPU temp? Try Everest home edition by http://www.lavalys.com
If its shutting down after 20minutes then you have an overheating problem.
The Everest "sensor" can tell you what the temps are, and I bet went you reach the high end, your system is shutting down.

BUT, if the power light is still on, and everything is down, thats not a good sign - everything should shut down, meaning no lights remain on.

If everything shuts down properly, and usually after sucessfully booting up, and remains on for about 20 minutes, then its a overheat factor.
Before you try C-thugs idea of handling the CPU, at least work your way to it - making sure the box fan is working, making sure the inside is tied down and neat to promote airflow, and then the cpu processor area is clean and its heat sink clear of dust and hairballs.

Remember to protect your box against ESD (electro-static discharge), I would leave the box plugged into the wall (meaning you have a grounded wall plug!), resting your arms on the bare metal inside will keep you discharging to the ground there.

DNR
-

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if the box shuts down and can be restarted after a while it definitely points to a cooling problem. if all fans work fine and the system is clean from dust but it still shuts down it could be the heat sink paste, even high-end paste has a max. lifetime of 3 years...then its heat conducting abilities gets worse because it starts to harden.
so if all fails and the temperature monitor in BIOS still shows too high values get new heat sink paste... :wink:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Yeah this may seem a bit of a problem but all is not lost. DNR is right you must be careful and aware of ESD and also when handling the processor and be careful not to rip it out of the socket when removing the heat sink fan. Use the software that DNR also posted and post the results back here if you need any help.

Do you have access to a laptop that you can use at the same time as fixing the other box? If so and you would like a little help with your project let me know a time when you are available and i will most gladly help you run through your troubleshooting process.

Any local computer shop will sell thermal paste and its not expensive.

Good luck with your mission :wink:

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

Thanks for the reply guys,

Hi, after few days observation , my cpu coolin' fan is not the problem. I think its my video card. Every time i play online game called "Skyblade" it will only last for few minutes then CPU randomly shut off. So i tried to play with ATI control settings and set the 3D video quality high cause i was thinkin' that ATI can't catch up with the game. After that , it takes 1 - 2 hours before it crash again, well it doesn't crash anymore like before. It will only change into like "Black and white colored" then after 5 seconds it will return back to normal color and show an error msg. I tried playing my other online game which req. much higher video card and it only takes 30sec-2 minutes before the game crash.

Here is the error message:

I think it's not about the cooling fan , because i tried to stay my computer 2 days without turning off and it run smoothly. Just don't play any game which req. high video card. I tried to google the error already , and some people havin' the same problem. The recommendation is try to clean the cpu from dust, change video card, update the latest hardware update.
Well i already did the update latest hardware thing, so only 2 choice left is clean the cpu from dust and change the video card. So im going to mechanics again and have it clean the whole cpu. If that doesn't work im just going to change my brand new video card T_T. Any new video card recommendation for my system? My OS is Windows XP Sp2 , my other cpu hardware info(everest logs) is @ http://www.suck-o.com/modules.php?name= ... pic&t=4918

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, yeah, this really points to a problem with the g-card now, if the CPU cooler cleaning has no success bring the g-card back and get an nvidia one, I can recommend the 7900gs...it's cheap and the performance is still good enough even for the newest games, and it's also pretty silent.
:wink: