Help me research these lappy's fella's.

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Help me research these lappy's fella's.

Post by Big-E »

My buddy asked me which I thought was better, I picked this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... =T71-15021

based on the ratio of price:specs - he is not a gamer...

He likes this one as well:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... G153-T1625

What do you guys think, my trust sources?

Still_Learning
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Still_Learning »

I would look at other places also besides tigerdirect, maybe at newegg.com or pcmag.com they have a place to compare prices, ebay, craigs list, i know others also but will have to find the links later, best buy is good and offer a great warranty

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I like the first one! It looks great! Too bad they are all shipped with vista. :x :x :x :x
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, hard to decide...if you like the design of the 1st one and don't care about the 50 bucks extra go for it, but the performance of both should be pretty the same, and playing the newest games will not work well with both anyway.l
aptops are no gaming machines, unless you want to spend A LOT of money for a specialized gaming laptop that is not really mobile anymore because the battery only lasts for 2 hours.
I would go for the 2nd one, it has a bigger HDD and AMD CPUs are usually less power hungry, which should be a plus in mobility.
:wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

lenovo laptops looking good

Post by DNR »

You can replace the OS, comments on the laptop said that the lenovo site has drivers. Many switched over to Win XP. A lot of the user comments were good, except some agree that the video might not be top of the the line. You can always upgrade the video before you buy, but as you said - the guy is not a gamer.

Tigerdirect.com beat out even lenovo's own shopping site

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/notebooks/ideapad/y-series

I was actually thinking about buying lenovo for my next laptop, so let me know how it goes.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Actually, with regards to the OS - I already have him as an Ubuntu conversion. ;)

He just got done 4 years of school taking Chemistry and is going back to get his Teaching certificate and wants a new laptop as his other one is like 5 years old. He doesn't need much.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I just hate the idea that if you buy a new laptop you need to buy vista as well. That just adds the extra $50 to every laptop! :x :x :x
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

visser

Post by visser »

your def gonna want to use ubuntu. Vista and laptops is just a really bad idea. Especially with integrated graphics. You know its bad when you see "bejeweled" (its a video game. fyi) frame rates go to hell....